30g stocking?

kelp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm setting up a new 30g tank and moving fish and seeded rubble from another established tank. I'd like to add a couple or three if possible. Any thoughts on this? Would it be too much? All new ones would be on the sand or rockwork (for behavior purposes). I guess my main question is about bioload...

Already have:
-Pair of Ocellaris
-Single Royal Gramma
-Pair of Wheelers Gobies w/ shrimp

Would like to add:
-Pair of Biota CB Mandarins
-Single Clown Goby

Thanks in advance for the advice.

OP
OP
K

kelp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling that's what I would hear... which probably means I should not have asked! Haha. I had seen a thread earlier about how "acclimated" the Biota CB mandarins were, but I think that must be all relative. After reading more (after I posted) on a non sponsored thread, I realized they were still going to be pretty high maintenance.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling that's what I would hear... which probably means I should not have asked! Haha. I had seen a thread earlier about how "acclimated" the Biota CB mandarins were, but I think that must be all relative. After reading more (after I posted) on a non sponsored thread, I realized they were still going to be pretty high maintenance.
If the mandarin were adapted to eating prepared food, you could probably do it if you were going to feed 6+ times a day. A 30g system won't supply enough natural food for a single Mandarin, let alone a pair.
I don't see any issue adding the goby.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 30 is too small for a mandarin as the others have already said. It would be possible to keep one but only with monumental effort. A single cherub angel would be happy but you would be toeing the line of overstocked, it would definitely be your last fish :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Even if they eat frozen...the problem is their digestive tracts are still short and inefficient so they need proper amounts of food.

I have found a 30g system can support them if it is a macro algae dominant system and has a fuge and no heavy weight competition like wrasse.

8 fish in 30g is a lot though. I usually keep around 4-5 in that size.

OP
OP
K

kelp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, everyone. I probably will add the clown goby so I have something in the rocks, but I'm definitely not adding even a single mandarin.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back