30x30x12

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to start a build with these dimensions. Hoping to get a little advice on flow type and lighting. The plan is for a SPS tank with very little rock . I would like to stay away from LEDS on this build. I am about 6 weeks from getting my tank so any input would help greatly.

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caus low tanks are awesome! I have a shallow.reef as well. I have a low stand too so.its great to have the top down look, thats the best view for sps.
I also like the look of having more of an sps field instead of an sps mountain.

cncglasscutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , I have a 3'x4'x14"deep tank I made . I would build your tank stand around chest high so that when you are standing you can look down into the tank and also see into the tank from the sides. When you sit in a chair it will be just right. Most of the time you are walking by or standing by the tank so set it up for this. Make sure 30" is a standard length of lights so you can buy one off the shelf. Overflow I have one 2"PVC pipe with teeth cut into it in the center of the tank. Sump is a 30 gal. 3/4 filled with water ,if return pump stops DT dump one inch of water into sump before it will stop, at 7 gal./inch in my DT tank my sump will never overflow . You can check out Reef tank new GU10 lights - YouTube it's my tank. I would make the tank 16" deep 14" is an inch or two too small also add in the inch or two of glass above the waterline. For flow I have two Magnum 350 canister filters one as sump return one for flow also two power heads on the glass. Their are no dead spots as the water goes in one circular direction .

OP
OP
R

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so more of a frag tank than reef if you already got one.

No. This will be a display tank. It is going to be shallow because as one poster mentioned I prefer a sps field then a wall and want to look down for the viewing.

I appreciate all the comments but still looking for some advice on flow and lighting.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. This will be a display tank. It is going to be shallow because as one poster mentioned I prefer a sps field then a wall and want to look down for the viewing.

I appreciate all the comments but still looking for some advice on flow and lighting.

I dig the shallow look and agree on the top down view. Just ordered a similar dimensioned tank(24X36X14) Following along!

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's the pics? Looking forward to some.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Forum Runner

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as flow goes, I have an mp10 in mine and it is more than enough flow. Its on nutrient transport mode and at half speed, and it has great flow. My tank is 24 x 24 x 12,
So your 30 by 30 should be around the same. When my sps frags turn into colonies I may get another just to run two at half speed instead of one on higher speed. Just Caus my sand would blow everywhere if I blast mine on or near 100%

Sent from my VS950 4G using Forum Runner

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 61 47.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back