3155 issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 2 year old 3155 unit will no longer fill. I believe it's a problem with the optical senor. If I power cycle the unit, it will beep, kick on the pump(to prime the pump which works just fine), then always shows a level amount of water, regardless if it needs water or not. It will give me an audible alrm for high level and show the red light, it just will not fill. I believe the optical sensor is not working and detecting that it's not touching water.

Already pulled it out, cleaned it off, and it still shows as an always level amount.

Can I just buy the sensor, or is this something I'll have to send in to get fixed?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rvitko

I searched for spare parts and saw this post from Roger. Looks like you can replace the optical sensor, but as recommended above I’d ask Roger for advice first.

The relay I wouldn't have access to, but these rarely fail accept for cold solder joints. The optic sensor is $28.80, but in general any Osmolator made before 2009 I would not attempt repair, the primary issue is that older circuit is not reliable with pumps made since 2009 due to a higher amperage draw.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rvitko

I searched for spare parts and saw this post from Roger. Looks like you can replace the optical sensor, but as recommended above I’d ask Roger for advice first.
Kind of why I posted in the Tunze sponsor forum. But thank you for the suggestion. I also looked for a replacement, but came across a thread from years ago on RC about having to solder the wires to the board. Not sure if this has changed in newer units or not, and I have not opened up the case to see. Wanted to hear from @rvitko first.

RWinfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know he is traveling today but I am sure he will respond I think the sensor is 30 bucks .He was at Reefapalooza

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know he is traveling today but I am sure he will respond I think the sensor is 30 bucks .He was at Reefapalooza
Lol of course, I talked to him at RAP. And of course it wasn't until I got home that I noticed my sump was low and not filling.

I could have probably gotten a sensor from him at RAP had I known. lol It's just my dumb luck.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got it removed from the tank(what a huge PITA! lol), and I cannot find a date anywhere inside the case. But the optical sensor is a plug on the board, and it is stamped Tunze 5017-35 V1.1. So the sensor is just a plug and super simple to replace. Now if I could only buy one......

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We generally don't sell the sensor outright as while it is easy to replace, ideally the controller gets calibrated to the new sensor and this requires a special computer connector cable and software. We don't charge to do this, it is just the cost of the part which is $29.39. I can sell the part if you insist, but their is generally a 25% chance it won't work right. I would make sure the sensor is clean, the most common issue is they get hazed over by calcium and a couple hours soak in vinegar will solve that.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had to chime back in and say how well @rvitko took care of me.

Sent out my unit on a monday, had it back by the following monday! All working like new, and the turn around time was next to nothing.

Well done @rvitko, you have made me a life long customer. Some other aquarium related companies could learn a thing or two from you guys.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back