32.5 Modified Fluval Upgrade - Bigger is Better?

Nothing to report as we continue to cycle but I’m very happy with my current coral. I had a temperature mishap and it killed 2/6 coral a few months ago. Most of what you see have recovered or continue to recover. The only one who did not suffer was my snake polyp (shunned to the back). I am so excited for my clowns to be moved up. I’m think of getting an anemone down the line as well even thought I know they can be quiet cranky and mean. I definitely would like to add a goby and urchin if possible. Of course, a whole new band of CUC as many have passed. I’ll limit myself to one coral a month just to keep my cost down and my sanity.
 
Nice start. Is that Green Star Polyp you have there? Just be careful it doesn't take over all your rock and future corals. Maybe best to isolate it on its own rock.Good luck with the rest of your cycle
 
Nice start. Is that Green Star Polyp you have there? Just be careful it doesn't take over all your rock and future corals. Maybe best to isolate it on its own rock.Good luck with the rest of your cycle
It is and it is :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: The hope it covers the entire rock eventually
 
Ah well in that case ignore me then lol. Just that I had it along with pulsing xenia in my very first tank and they swamped killed everything in there path although I am considering trying to grow GSP just on the back wall of my next aquarium. Your clowns will love the upgrade hopefully.
 
Ah well in that case ignore me then lol. Just that I had it along with pulsing xenia in my very first tank and they swamped killed everything in there path although I am considering trying to grow GSP just on the back wall of my next aquarium. Your clowns will love the upgrade hopefully.
I kind of WISH mine gre that quickly. My coral is pretty slow growing probably because I am not measuring everything else I should be. And I hope so! I want to keep them alive for the next 10-12 years if possible!
 
So after 2 hours of slowly but surely moving everything over, safe to say I am happy! I did almost lose my female clown as she decided to jump but as you can see she’s calmed down significantly. Corals so far are doing okay but I’m watching them. Of course green star has shut itself up but I’m not surprised. The lights are on but are only at about 25% intensity atm to help corals settle in. I re-added my extra pump in the back for a bit more flow and all rocks are in. Cycle finished and I plan to test the water to make sure ammonia is continuing to be processed. Im ready for diatoms!
 
Looking like a great start. Clowns look like they are enjoying the flow.
Yes! Everyone is doing well. Green star polyp has also open which is a relief. All coral are doing amazing. My sexy shrimp and my snails are also doing well. I could cry I am so so happy when I woke up this morning and look at everyone. The next step is saving up from the second light system and then I will proceed to slowly stock my tank. My vision is 1-2 coral per month. I am hoping to focus on SPS. I do want to add 1 anemone and I know the risk but they are really cool animals I would love to own. As of now the clowns are on meal haitus but will resume feeding tomorrow. I hope this larger system will be better for my pets long term. I am also going to be making a custom stand to insert on the side to hide the canister.
 
Update: kept my promise if 1-2 corals a month. Starting strong with some “beginner” coral with Duncan and Kenya tree along with more CUC. Also update my ATO system with a bigger jug. Also getting a small shelving unit to hide the canister. We found something with correct dimensions that also fits the same style of the tank. Hoping it will look more uniform down the line. I’m hoping to get my custom lid this month and next big purchase is second AI light.
IMG_3967.jpeg
IMG_3965.jpeg
IMG_3968.jpeg
 
Canister Review - Maintenance

Today was the first time I did a water change and decided to clean my canister. It's early to do so but I am doing a 2 week mintenance schedule as of now. One of my friends gifted me an electrical water changing/sanding cleaning tool and it did the job but I did almost flood my floor I just redid. I still like the good ol manual way.

Canister was a breeze. I unplugged everything, hulled it to the bathroom into the bath, unscrewed and opened the canister, and rinsed all filter media in water I had just pumped out. The water afterwards was murky so obviously even with my sparse feeding, it is cleaning the water efficiently. Of course, there are atleast 3 sponges I need to rinse. The only downside is there is water EVERYWHERE but I would rather an effecient filter. All in all, I like it so far. The water flow it provides is more than adequate. This view may change in a year but I like the settup so far.
 
Little lunch break for everyone. Green Stars are all closed up so not even going to show them but everyone else is happy. Duncan closed up after eating.
 
What's causing you to get the water everywhere, the electric water changing tool or maintenance on the canister? If it's the new tool, like you say I'd go back to the old fashioned way......and have plenty towels handy lol. Good progress
 
The water pressure caused the hose to spray everywhere because I forgot to clamp it down. But otherwise, I’m just a clumsy person. I go through at least 7 towels to clean things up because I tend to spill everything everywhere. If I had concrete floors I’d care a little less.
What's causing you to get the water everywhere, the electric water changing tool or maintenance on the canister? If it's the new tool, like you say I'd go back to the old fashioned way......and have plenty towels handy lol. Good progress
 
How is the canister treating you? I assume since you only have 3? fish then it shouldn't be getting too dirty.
 
How is the canister treating you? I assume since you only have 3? fish then it shouldn't be getting too dirty.
I only have 2 with assortment of hermits and snails. I’m cleaning it biweekly and it’s been good! The water has been pristine and the coral have been attaching and growing on the rocks. Honestly I love it. I’m still getting used to it but I’m sold on it.
 
Sad update: USPS has lost my custom lid after 4 weeks stuck at a distribution factory. In the end I got my money back which wasn’t the outcome I wanted. I guess it’s time to built my own lid..
 
Last edited:
Finally acquired a shelving unit to hide my pump. I am thinking of adding another panel to the front to make it seamless and give the pump more room but overall very happy. Now to collect some ocean inspired things to display! And good news USPS has found my lid! I should be receiving it sometime next week. I am hoping to purchase another ai light as well as the add ons for the light. Slowly coming together! No news animals as of yet.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4306.jpeg
    IMG_4306.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 32
Not much update. Coral are slowly growing, finally upgrading my wave maker, and clowns are doing well. Have not added new corals or fish just due to life.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new