32 Biocube Mixed

Jcat2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks, I've been slacking on a build thread for my Biocube. Started up back in November while on medical leave from work. Boredom ruled those days so I started my 2nd tank.

As it stands today.

Biocube 32
+/- 25lbs of rock
2 plates of marine pure under 20 lbs of Caribsea live sand.
Steve's Led kit
Sicce 1.5 Return
In Tank Media Rack w/ Chemipure Blue, Phosgard and Pond Matrix
Icecap - K2-50 skimmer

Som epics from the early going and some progression shots up to today.

IMG_2051.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

IMG_2252.JPG

IMG_2258.JPG

IMG_2490.JPG

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG
Howdy! I was wondering how you run THAT skimmer with your biocube 32, you didnt mention a sump - and I cant image something 19 inches tall fits in the back sump area of the biocube. I want to add a 'real' skimmer to my biocube 32 but am not looking forward a bunch of mods to the tank. thanks!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy! I was wondering how you run THAT skimmer with your biocube 32, you didnt mention a sump - and I cant image something 19 inches tall fits in the back sump area of the biocube. I want to add a 'real' skimmer to my biocube 32 but am not looking forward a bunch of mods to the tank. thanks!

I essentially made the same modifications required to fit the Tunze 9001 plus a tiny bit more plastic removal. Theres video’s on how to mod for the 9001 by In Tank.

Ive had this same discussion with a few folks that gave asked about the 19” and Ill tell you not only does it fit height wise. I have it on a 3 inch riser.

Its a very tight fit but height wasnt the problem. Without the riser cleaning the cup was a pain. Will post some more pics for you later.

Jcat2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I essentially made the same modifications required to fit the Tunze 9001 plus a tiny bit more plastic removal. Theres video’s on how to mod for the 9001 by In Tank.

I've had this same discussion with a few folks that gave asked about the 19” and Ill tell you not only does it fit height wise. I have it on a 3 inch riser.

Its a very tight fit but height wasn't the problem. Without the riser cleaning the cup was a pain. Will post some more pics for you later.
Thanks for getting back so quick! I've seen the Tunze 9001 modifications in the inTank video - just cutting a couple of plastic tabs probably isn't that big of a deal even for a DIY wimp like me lol. I just never got any 'warm and fuzzy' feeling from the Tunze 9001 look and reviews so I didn't want to bother. Looking forward to seeing the pics! Thanks again

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With two other tanks going, I would make this specialize in something unusual. Display refugium perhaps? Seahorses and pipefish among other not usually seen things?
Thanks for dropping by. It’ll take a little time to get there but the plan is to combine everything into the 110 and once we get that complete I’ll keep a pair of clowns in here with their anemones and one or two smaller fish with a leather and few euphylia. Reality is my girl wants to keep the Biocube as “Her” tank so who am I to argue that?! :)

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the emd is here and gone. About to mix up new water for BC 32 2.0.

She came out pretty darn nice if I do say so myself. Will be 95% new tock save for a hunk the anemones and their clown are attached to. Also have both media bags full of lond matrix from the original so I expect no real cyxle.

Stay tuned!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black sand. Will have one Green Bta with its clowns Goerge and Weezie. I think we’re going to put the little ........ in there too ;)
Eventually our Royal Gramma and perhaps a gobie of aome sort. Will be mostly zoas, a leather and the anemone.

New build thread starts once we add bacteria and some life.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the chaos happening at my place of shifting/shuffling livestock into new tanks, temporary holding systems etc. I finally took a loss overnight. Actually two :(

Both our Flame Hawkfish and Royal Gramma were found dead this morning. Both were fine last night in their 10g holding tank with live rock from the old system. Not sure what happened, temp and PH are normal with basic flow. They only needed to last one more day in there but didnt make it. All corals and the anemone in that tank are fine. It's a Mystery...

Jcat2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the chaos happening at my place of shifting/shuffling livestock into new tanks, temporary holding systems etc. I finally took a loss overnight. Actually two :(

Both our Flame Hawkfish and Royal Gramma were found dead this morning. Both were fine last night in their 10g holding tank with live rock from the old system. Not sure what happened, temp and PH are normal with basic flow. They only needed to last one more day in there but didnt make it. All corals and the anemone in that tank are fine. It's a Mystery...
Yikes! Sorry for your loss!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks very happy! I'm so glad you are enjoying him.
Hes just hanging out catching a tan! Ive pulled a couple of fish out of this tank and he’s much happier now. I honestly think it was the Mandarin he didnt like.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ugh. So close. Sorry to see

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 161 73.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 36 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back