32 gallon vs 57 gallon for apartment

reefsquared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting back into the hobby and will be setting up a new tank in my 2 bedroom apartment. I was thinking of going with a 32 gallon 24inch long tank or 57 gallon 36 inch long tank. I was leaving towards the 32 gallon but worrying about filling to too fast. Also the extra foot of space the 57 gallon would be nice that. Concern is about the weight and water volume for an apartment.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had both large and small tanks in apartments and smaller has always been more enjoyable. Less worry about water flooding, weight, cost, floor space, etc…

Rocking a 12 gallon now which is almost perfect for an apartment.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks in a downtown studio. Started with a custom 18g but just commissioned a custom 68g because there's just not much you can do in such a small tank. What are your coral goals?

OP
OP
reefsquared

reefsquared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans and maybe a couple of acros. I have always been a big acan fan

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m a renter. Though I would love something bigger, 25 has worked great for me. Relatively easy to move and landlords don’t make a fuss. I always make sure that my tank is written into my lease. Also, I always try to live on the bottom floor. Living upstairs (even with a small tank) gives me too much anxiety.

OP
OP
reefsquared

reefsquared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my thought too. But it would be nice to have the extra space.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who used to live in an apartment, I'd say get the 32g. I had to move my 25g a total of three times, and I can't imagine having to move a 57g tank.

When you move into a house, you can get a bigger tank and use the 32 as a frag tank ;)

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the fifth floor of a mid rise and I have a 37 gallon which is 48”x18”x10h”. Super comfortable and able to fit everything I want. If anything, I’d love another 4-6” of height to be able to really separate the par between acros and the sandbed. Go with the bigger tank if it fits the bill!

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you plan to live in that apt for at least 3 or more years just don't do it. All the money spent will probably be wasted and useless when you own a home. If you insist explore much smaller tanks and keep the costs way way down. It will never be what you truly want.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back