320 Gallon Plywood Tank

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may use a 75 gallon tank for a sump to save some time, although I'm not sure if I can drill into the side panels, Aqueon lists the 75 gallon as featuring a tempered bottom, but not to sure if they made the sides tempered too. I've come across some threads that show people drilling the side panels successfully and others finding out its tempered. Anyone here drill one for their sump?

You can tell if a glass panel is tempered by placing a smartphone, tablet or laptop screen on one side of the glass panel and view it through polaroid sunglasses on the other side. If it appears with many hairline cracks all over the panel, it's tempered. If not you're all good.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about flow in the tank ? Closed loop ?

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some progress tonight, tank is still in the early stages, but I can feel that this tank is going to be heavy.
IMG_3498.jpg

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More progress, unfortunately I only have an hour or two to work on the tank each day, so its slowly coming together. I cut out the trim pieces for the glass and was able to build/mock up the overflow.

I wish I had a table saw, would make my life a lot easier and would allow me to make the cuts faster.

I think I have to start building the stand next, before I go any further, I want a flat surface to build from before I start assembling the rest of the tank to avoid any distortion on the panels. Gotta buy some steel tubing, leveling feet, casters, and then start welding.
IMG_3508.jpg
IMG_3509.jpg
IMG_3510.jpg
IMG_3512.jpg
IMG_3511.jpg
IMG_3513.jpg

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah we want updates!

giphy.gif

seeing the progress is great. my plans of finishing the basement and adding a large plywood not goona happen anytime in the next cpl years...boo but in the mean time I get to enjoy your thread.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very cool. Like to see how others build their plywood tanks. Can't wait to see more.

rayscoralreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is about the size and shape I am looking to do for mine, only difference is it is mirrored the with plumbing in the right side and plumbed to the basement. Really would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the final product!!

Back