3D Printed 5 Gal. Aquarium

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R Members,

This is my first post, as well as my first nano reef. (not sure if this belongs in the 3D printed or nano section).

This whole project started when I found a nice, near mint, round bowl on its way out to the garbage.

It had been a while since I least had an aquarium (freshwater), thought it would be neat to have a betta fish on my desk.

So I started by printing a stand. The bowl opening does not sit parallel to the ground, but at an angle.

The next issue I encountered, was water circulation. I'm aware that filtration is not needed at my water volume, but when you can print a filter, why not?

Before I knew it, this project turned from a simple betta bowl, into a nano reef build. Anyways, here are some specs and pics.

Features:

HOB filter body, hugs the shape of the bowl.

2 adjustable pumps (65gph each), one for the filter and one for water circulation/backup

2 adjustable flow outputs

Media rack with 4 slots.

Surface skimming/water noise reduction tray

Dedicated heater area.

Refugium chamber and light.

Macroalgae screen/water diffuser.

LED adjustable light w/ remove

Digital temperature display

One power cable, for minimal cable mess.

A lot of time went into this project, more than initially planned. Mainly 3D printing and CAD time, approximately 230 hrs of printing. Surprisingly, I only had a 2 reject parts.

It's been cycling it for about a week, no leaks so far. Going to run it for a few months before I add any livestock.

If you have any questions or comments, I'll try to answer them.

3D Reefin'

Here's a teaser. I'll get better pictures of the bowl when I get a chance.

IMG_04391.jpg

Fish Bowl Final Sec.JPG

Fish Bowl Final.JPG

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DUDE that is so epic. yes we want better pics. oh and trade mark/ copy right that. if you can I think you could be on to something here.
I hope it works out i think it could be a nice office AIO for some folks.

keep the updates coming and welcome to R2R!

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very cool, love that you incorporated two pumps, so that you have backup. Really looking forward to some more photos.

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very cool, love that you incorporated two pumps, so that you have backup. Really looking forward to some more photos.

Thanks. The second pump, bottom, is mainly used for water circulation, but it is a back up in case the filter pump fails. It also has 2 loc-lines connected to it, allows for water flow to be pointed in any direction.

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down the most innovative tank I’ve seen yet on here. When can we order 1?

Thanks. Unfortunately, I've tried finding similar radius bowls, with no luck. Since the filter is concave, so that it hugs the bowl, the radius must be the same for the filter to mount and work properly. So I think this may stay in the one off category for now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back