320 Gallon SPS Build

sanchoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet setup. How's that Sohal holding up. Mine went berserk mode after one foot. I had to get rid of him due to his intentional fragging of my acros.

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet setup. How's that Sohal holding up. Mine went berserk mode after one foot. I had to get rid of him due to his intentional fragging of my acros.

I have had it almost a year and it is great but now is becoming aggressive toward the mid sized tangs like the powder blue and Sailfain. I will prob. get rid of it soon. I am moving away from the bigger fish as the corals are just too dense. I'm going with small reef fish moving forward.

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These radium’s with the LED Blues on are Sick. I ended up putting three of them over the 320. If anyone sees a Lumen Max 2 and Blueline ballast out there LMK I need one more. I have never seen this tank so beautiful. The pictures do not do justice. My Yellows actually look yellow now. Ill break out the big camera later.
This is with 7 Evergrow 4 Apollo Leds and 3 250 Watt Radiums
mh002.jpg

mh003.jpg

mh004.jpg

mh005.jpg

mh006.jpg

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am testing them out over the winter. Basically I am going to run 4 250 watt radium's with 6 Evergrow D120 panels along the front. I will keep my 4 Apollos along the back and run as usual. For the D120's I am going to turn the white channel's off to simulate the VHO, t5 or what ever people supplement these with.

I cannot see how I can run these long term. The chiller was running all day yesterday and I keep my house 65. Running 3 of them drew about 8 amps and the chiller draws another 8 amps for an eye-popping 16 amps where my 12 LED panels run under 10 amps with no need for the chiller. this doesn't include the 6 amps for the blues. So to get the same effect it is 22 amps vs under 10 amps for leds. My house at 74 in the summer would be impossible to keep the tank cool.

The purpose is to see if I can enhance the colors/ growth over what I've done so far and see if that improvement will be worth the extra 100 or more per month on my electric bill. I might have to start shipping frag packs again to compensate!

With the 20K radium and LED blue I have never seen such beautiful color in a Reef tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictured below is the Layout until my other pendant comes in. What you cannot see are the 4 Apollo LEDS running right to left in the back.
mh014.JPG

Tank MH& LED side as you can see the yellows look much better and the yellow tang is actually yellow
mh012.JPG

Led Only Side and there is that orange (yellow tang again)
mh013.JPG

Corals under MH with LED Blues/UV at 100%
mh010.JPG

mh011.JPG

FTS
mh009.JPG

What do you think?

grumpy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom, the tank looks better with the halide and led mix. Need to come and check it out in person soon.

FX CharityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom that looks incredible with the light switch. How long do you plan on running halides? I would just run them 4-5 hrs a day. I say it's worth the extra 100. Sell a pack or two to offset it. You created this tank to enjoy fully and if the halides give you that look why deprive yourself of that.

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom that looks incredible with the light switch. How long do you plan on running halides? I would just run them 4-5 hrs a day. I say it's worth the extra 100. Sell a pack or two to offset it. You created this tank to enjoy fully and if the halides give you that look why deprive yourself of that.

Thanks! I have grown most of these colonies from 1" under leds and proud of that but sometimes what is not known is not known. With LEDS I feel like I reached a place that I cannot get past. The addition of the MH is to see if I can take the tank forward. I am not switching out the LEDS I am basically switching off the LED Whites which along with coverage issues with LEDS I believe they a counter beneficial long term with SPS.

Therefore the plan is to supplement the LED Blue with 20K Radiums and when these bulbs are done move to a lower K bulb during the colder months. If I decide to keep them I will need to find a solution to the heating issue before warm weather.

Last edited by a moderator:

yudruln8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful tank what do you dose to keep the colors so bright and how often

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back