OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My, that tank is STUFFED!

Still have lost of space - it is amazing how these corals are aware of the coral next to and grow around. Just like a natural reef.

These are the Threads I could view A L L D A Y long !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Wow!! All I can say! Saw a FTS on Facebook today and searched for this tank. Just read through the entire thread. Amazing!

Thanks for the read, I hope in some way the information has somehow helps with your own success.

Absolutley AMAZING tank! Have you thought about some fans in the canopy to keep the fixtures cooler and hopefully water temps down? How are you dealing with humidity in the room?

I have several fans in the canopy blowing on the water and exhausting the heat out. If the tank gets to 80.5 the Chiller is programmed to come on but the tank is consistently at 79.5 and this temp really gets the corals growing fast. From a humidity standpoint, I have a fairly large house and will get some moisture on the windows in the spring and fall but in the winter I simply turn my whole house humidifier to 10% and the tanks does the rest.

Good gosh! This tank should be illegal as it could cause blindness!

I just renewed my vision insurance for cy2014. I am almost the big 40 and things dont look as crisp as they use to!

Your photos are a delight, keep them coming

Thanks again. It is defiantly easier from a white balance perspective taking pics under halides. I made some changes to the light layout and waiting on a couple ballast to come in. Subsequently, I will get some more pics up.

do you dose vodka? how do you keep the nutreants low to keep such bright colors?

My nitrates are naturally low from the tanks maturity and the 400 lbs of live rock. The colors are really from great water quality and long term stability with good light. But really I dont dose anything other than oysterfeast and fish food. Every once in a while about once a week Ill put 40ml of viniger in the top off water to help breakdown the kalk it is also a benifit to feeding the bacteria in the system as a carbon source.

Wow, inspiring for sure!

Many Thanks!

Will you be my mentor - please *smile*. Spectacular Tank = Pristine!

Sure I can help. This is one of my favorite boards and the people on this site are great, knowledgeable and always willing to help.

First off amazing tank! I was excited to see someone going with all leds on such a deep tank and then sad to see that you had to go back to some mh. I will be interested to see how much this changes your power bill? doesn't look like you are too worried with an increase with the money you have dumped into this system but still a question. Also, Man look at that hollywood stunner in the back right corner that thing is the size of your head or bigger! How are the corals around it fairing out with the long tentacles this species is known for?

All good questions. Lets make no mistake that LEDS are great for coral reefs and I have grown my tank from 1" frags to what you see now under them. Also let it be known that we all have our own measure of success. I felt like the tank was very successful but felt I reached the peak of with the current lighting. Every time I saw a halide tank, frags or corals they IMO were slight more colorful for the majority of corals. I ended up getting a good deal on halides and decided to throw them up. in less than a week some corals got colors that I never could get under leds only. Pervious to installing the halides I turned my LED whites down about 10% and found the corals over that period got better colors. So I conclude that something in LED whites is causing damage to the coral and decided to swap that white color with proven 20K radiums. So the current design is to run 4 250 watt 20K radiums, 6 Evergrow d120 fixtures with blues 100% only and 4 apollo with blues 100% and whites 10% along the back. The results in a weeks time are profound!

From a cost standpoint it is running about 4-6 amps higher which will translate to about 100 a month.

About the stunner your right it is an aggressive chalice but I keep breaking it as it grows out so that it cannot invade other corals. It has since then decided to grow up the back of the glass. With all of the flow the tentacles are usually contained in its area.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light change

6 D120's 100% blue 0 white 12 hours
4 apollo 100%blue 15%white 12/8 hours
4 Radium MH 20K 250w m80 ballast LMax II Pendants 6 hours

mhfinal.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm so in love.....ahhhh

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read through this whole build, and this is amazing. You've done a great job with the tank and everything has come a long way. I hope to say I have grown as many frags from 1" as you have one day!

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite thing to see is a large tank slammed with coral with nice growth. Very nice job and keep the pictures coming.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
WOW. WOW. WOW !!!!! I wish !!
Light change

6 D120's 100% blue 0 white 12 hours
4 apollo 100%blue 15%white 12/8 hours
4 Radium MH 20K 250w m80 ballast LMax II Pendants 6 hours

mhfinal.jpg

jeffthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure seems you have the best of both worlds with running LED with supplemental MH and your corals sure look great!

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed new magic lantern firmware in my Canon so Testing Video on Automatic.

[video=youtube;dLkFwSHr0Qs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLkFwSHr0Qs[/video]

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back