34, 90 and now a 40, what a story.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't updated in a long time, been struggling with some hair algae. Tank is healthy and coral seem to be doing better after the light struggles and some other stuff. Here are some new additions and a random pic of my blenny sleeping in the zoa rock.

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg
You take very good pictures! Corals looking very happy.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'll probably do a full tank shot this weekend. I need to do some maitaince, clean my gryas, change the carbon, do a water change. I'll get all that done and take some more shots of it.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimmed thru the last few pages. Looks like you have a nice tank. Awesome idea with the Patron dosing containers. I love the eel, I believe I remember seeing that one on the Diver's Den last year. I picked another one up finally last week.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, since I know there is some experience following along I’ll ask for some advice. Should have a long time ago but I’m stubborn. The tank is fairly healthy, I’ve had some loss but it seems to have stopped. I am battling hair algae however. My daughter and I spent about an hour with my ciphon ran into a filter sock and pumping water back in while I picked at it. So it’s not has bad as it was. I know I have to control nutrients or it will just come back, but how can I rid the algae out of the tank? I don’t think it phesable to pull the rock since they are all large pieces. Just need to get ahead so I can then stay that way.

0595B521-34E8-444C-ADF6-09E2E15279A8.jpeg

9BABF277-C6DE-487C-B1C6-9970F08651C8.jpeg

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't updated in a long time, been struggling with some hair algae. Tank is healthy and coral seem to be doing better after the light struggles and some other stuff. Here are some new additions and a random pic of my blenny sleeping in the zoa rock.

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg
Looks awesome! What kind of zoanthid are those green and purple/black ones?

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! What kind of zoanthid are those green and purple/black ones?
I have no idea, I bought some other frags from a local reefer and he threw them in the mix as a freebie. They grew faster than any other zoa in the tank, turned out to be pretty nice ones.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I have to control nutrients or it will just come back, but how can I rid the algae out of the tank
Well you know you'll need to get a handle on Nitrate and Phosphate, Where are they sitting now?

Siphoning into a filter sock works well if what you're trying to remove is free floating but with hair algae manual removal is recomended. Get in there prior to your water changes or sock siphon sessions and pull the clumps out as close to the rock as possible. You wont get it all but by shortening it your cleanup crew will have a much better chance at getting to it. In this case I would grab a few Mexican Turbo's and let them go to town. They are great for hair algae and will mow down whatever you cant get yourself. You could also consider a smaller Tang and/or Algae Blennie to help out. We like fish that have a job. Don't rememeber if I saw an updated stock list but I seem to rememeber Clowns and Cardinals in the beginging. Don't see any fish in the recent photo.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you know you'll need to get a handle on Nitrate and Phosphate, Where are they sitting now?

Siphoning into a filter sock works well if what you're trying to remove is free floating but with hair algae manual removal is recomended. Get in there prior to your water changes or sock siphon sessions and pull the clumps out as close to the rock as possible. You wont get it all but by shortening it your cleanup crew will have a much better chance at getting to it. In this case I would grab a few Mexican Turbo's and let them go to town. They are great for hair algae and will mow down whatever you cant get yourself. You could also consider a smaller Tang and/or Algae Blennie to help out. We like fish that have a job. Don't rememeber if I saw an updated stock list but I seem to rememeber Clowns and Cardinals in the beginging. Don't see any fish in the recent photo.

NO3 sits around 3 and PO4 is barely traceable but I know those numbers are misleading with the hair algae consuming it. I have a refugium and the chaeto grows fast so I'm not sure where its coming from. I did discover much to my dismay the about a month ago that my RODI was putting out about 3tds and quickly fixed the problem once it was discovered. Not sure if that's what kick started this whole mess. As far as fish go, i have a lawn mower blenny, fox face LO and a scoppis tang. The Blenny although my favorite fish does nothing for hair algae except play in it lol. The fox face used to eat algae until there was none so I started supplementing nori, not sure if I just spoiled him. The tang is the newest addition and I haven't seen him graze yet. I will see if I can track down some mexican turbo snails, our LFS is pretty crappy and I rarely go in there but don't mind grabbing some snails if they have them.

As far as the siphon goes, thats pretty much what I did only I used tweezers to grab clumps and siphoned them out as I went.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprising the Tang and Foxface arent grazing.... Maybe the tufts are too long? Im only speculating really but it sounds like you’re on the right track.

The TDS jump is unfortunate and probably contributed. Were things looking better before that?

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as hair algae yes it was, I was actually fighting dinos before that and as they went away in came the GHA.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back