34, 90 and now a 40, what a story.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always start short and don't glue your pipes in. Cut off more if necessary. The stage you are at is the really fun part of the build. You're getting your hands dirty and learning a ton every day. Many of us who have set up several tanks yearn for the building process alone because it challenges our creative side... well at least I do, LOL.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I agree completely with that, the build is a huge part of the fun. It's why most of us inevitably upgrade all the time, I think we like the equipment as much as the tanks. I've done ground up planted builds and those were fun. This one tops any of that and has been a blast so far, and I'm just in the planning stages. I wasn't planning on gluing anything from the bulk heads up, and your right I can always cut more off if need be.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm making a batch of water now and plan on moving the 34 gallon this weekend. My plan is to get the 90 gallon in its final resting place. If I have time (may not with the superbowl), I was going to cut and place the bulkhead and stand pipes too. I'm going Herbie style, and have one question. How high can I cut the trickle drain and get away with it? This is in the bedroom so quiet is the goal, so how far from the top of the over flow should it sit?
I have the ufo and light output is great but the fan is loud. I here you can change the fan though.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ufo and light output is great but the fan is loud. I here you can change the fan though.

Mmmm, that might influence my choice. Definitely want quiet on this tank, and that would suck since it will probably be running at night. Thanks for that tip.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmmm, that might influence my choice. Definitely want quiet on this tank, and that would suck since it will probably be running at night. Thanks for that tip.
This may sound weird but if you want quite and not expensive the Marineland led fuge light with just white and blue leds grew chaeto as fast as my ufo and a 54 watt par38. I accidentally submerged mine so decided to try the ufo. Dried out the Marineland and it is working fine. Everyone talks about light spectrum but results are results. No fan to make noise on the marineland. It may out perform both the par 38 and ufo. Go figure.
I have a eshops 300 sump like yours that I do not have in use. If I put it in I will make the large chamber my fuge and put my skimmer in the middle chamber. Want lots of chaeto.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure results are hard to argue with. Fans are one of those things that can be silent on the right piece of equipment, but you don't know till you have it. My 34 gallon has current orbit marine pros on it (which I don't like), I have considered just putting one of those on it once everything is transferred. I can ramp up the channel 2 (whites/reds) and I'm sure it will grow cheato. But at this point I kind of just want to see those things disappear.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure results are hard to argue with. Fans are one of those things that can be silent on the right piece of equipment, but you don't know till you have it. My 34 gallon has current orbit marine pros on it (which I don't like), I have considered just putting one of those on it once everything is transferred. I can ramp up the channel 2 (whites/reds) and I'm sure it will grow cheato. But at this point I kind of just want to see those things disappear.
Watching your thread with interest. I have a 90 Miracles in my garage waiting for me to upgrade from my 75. I like the height of the 90. My 75 has been too short for some of my coral as they mature.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching your thread with interest. I have a 90 Miracles in my garage waiting for me to upgrade from my 75. I like the height of the 90. My 75 has been too short for some of my coral as they mature.

I'm looking forward to it, I think the height is just right on a 90. I am 5' 10" (actually 9.5" but don't tell anybody), I have to have a step ladder to access the very bottom easily but that's ok. I'm going to buy one of those 4' long platform step ladders and that should solve it. Thanks for following along. I hope to have water in it in about 6 weeks. I want to do it right so I'm taking my time.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yeah I agree. But still have to buy 250$ worth of rock, the varios, heaters and I would like to have the gyre when I kick it on.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so close enough to the bottom of the weir? And I went 2” below trickle, just because I like to be arguminitive lol.
A0CF5B8B-14C9-4854-95C5-E6C99DCE37F2.jpeg
A89960CD-30CD-492B-9334-B9EB6BFF848D.jpeg

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the 90 is going in the same spot as the 34, I have to get it moved. I plan on relocating it this evening. I am going to take all the rock out except one piece. Made a frag rack out of some scrap acrylic. Haven’t decided if I want to take the sand out of it yet. We’ll see I guess, this should be fun.

04eea968c7ef307550d8145787975c69.heic

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went and picked up my sump today. It was sold as lightly used but you can’t tell, this thing is pristine. The biggest complaint I read about this sump was there was access to the entry point of the water. I can see where the complaints come from. I don’t think it would ever be a problem unless a Fish went on a trip into the sump. In this case I will have to get creative with it. Let’s just hope that never happens. I had to remove the center brace to get it in but that wasn’t a big deal.

45D2BBD8-0FEE-4B88-82A1-2ECEC4B087E6.jpeg
Nice build, look forward to more updates as you move along!

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I relocated the 34 gallon and pretty much set it back up striped down, it has a frag rack and a few small pieces of rock. My plan is to kill the rock and scrub it so I can use it on the 90 along with my new rock. The only concern I have is my lawn mower blenny. Now he the fatest fish in the tank and probably has enough reserves to last a little while lol. Any suggestions on what to supplement his diet with? I tired nori in the past and he never even looked at it. I've seen him grab a couple of mysis in the past but not much. Hes my favorite fish and I don't want to starve him out waiting on the new tank.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to try it, I'll keep an eye on him. It's easy to tell if he isn't eating enough. I'm guessing I'll have to order them?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah from a place in Cali. I split the smallest order with someone and my half was $72

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, yeah I'll try nori first lol. But If I can't get him to eat or it looks like hes not getting enough I'll try that.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to order the rock today, and can't wait for it to get here. I ordered about 100lbs total of marcos rock. I'm getting 40lbs of single cut prime pieces for bases, and the rest in the regular marco key largo. Also bought a bucket of his mortar and some EPO epoxy to help scape this thing. Wife wont like me taking over the kitchen table for about a week but it will be worth it when it's done.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back