36" hybrid over a 48" tank?

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking over a few build threads I noticed someone had mounted a 36" Aquaticlife hybrid over a 48" tank. I'm getting ready to set up an I.M. ext 100 (48") tank and wondered what people thought about going that rout. It actually didn't look undersized as I would have thought it would. He didn't mention his reasoning for this choice so thought I'd ask you all.
Thanks,

Kacey

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would work just fine. You may have less potent light on either end of the tank, but thats the perfect zone for mushrooms and the like.
Before the hybrids, the light fixture being shorter than the tank length was very common. Try not to stack rocks too high in the middle and you should be fine as far as shadowing.

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my take on it. Lower light zones at either end and it might look a little sleeker that way. Then again, there would already be a lower light zone at the bottom of the tank with the 48" fixture. Would any of you choose the 36" over the 48"? I should tell you the LED's I already have for it are 2 a360x's.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my take on it. Lower light zones at either end and it might look a little sleeker that way. Then again, there would already be a lower light zone at the bottom of the tank with the 48" fixture. Would any of you choose the 36" over the 48"? I should tell you the LED's I already have for it are 2 a360x's.
No way would I pick the 36" over the 48" if I could have either.
The 36" would still do an admirable job if you couldn't get the 48" for whatever reason.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 48 over my 48 and liked it. I was sps dominant. If you're doing mixed reef with softies and lps on the outer edges the 36 would work fine :)

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you guys are right. 48" would be best. Only reason I asked was cuz it looked so good. I will be having a mixed tank but it will be heavy on the sps and acros. At least, that's the plan.
Thanks

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back