36g bowfront: Cycle is done and its time to add fish. Question about lighting though:

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Previously I thought about doing a fish-in cycling but since I was going to wait 2 weeks and do nothing... I cycled the tank using Dr Tims stuff. 10 days later its all done.
Post Dr Tim measurements:
Salinity: 1.021sg/25ppm
NH3: .5 (assuming common api misread)
NO2: 0
NO3: 80+? (I did a previous 10g water change that was showing 160+)
post-cycling-complete-measurements.jpg

Then I did a 50%+ water change:
post-water-change-measurements.jpg

And FTS looks like this:
full-tank-shot-w-lights.jpg

I did add two ocellaris (orange) clowns but I will be removing them because the LFS plainly lied/mislead me. I told him that I wanted a b/w oce and an orange oce together and he told me that they will try to kill each other since they are different colors. I thought I read that if they were both ocies... then it would be ok but he confirmed it with another person and I ended up getting 2 orange ocies. But, when I came back home... I read a b/w oce and orange oce will be perfectly fine. So, Im going to return them.
Tank-w-clownfish.jpg

My question is about lighting. I do have 2x Hydra 32 HDs (from a previous high light planted tank):
1. Do I start a lighting profile as if Im going to be adding the specific corals I want now? (softies and LPS - basic/budget friendly only until I figure out what I am doing)
2. Do I start with a 10 hour light period or should i start with a 4 hour and gradually raise the time range so the tank "can get used to the amount of lighting?" For example, start with a 4 hour period then in 2 weeks make it 6 hours and 2 weeks/ 8 hours and so on?
3. Or do I just leave it on for the 10 hours and "acclimate" the light for two months at 50% or higher?
EDIT: "acclimate" means to "ramp up the power to an x amount of days. So if acclimate is set to 30 days then it would ramp up the full power per the profile in 30 days.
I will be using this profile from the BRSinvestigates:
Hydra 32 lighting profile
Which looks like this:
brs-recommended-lighting-profile.jpg

Even though my tank is 30x16x21... I can use this profile has a template as best as I can.

TLDR:

1. Do I start a lighting profile as if Im going to be adding the specific corals I want now? (softies and LPS - basic/budget friendly only until I figure out what I am doing)
2. Do I start with a 10 hour light period or should i start with a 4 hour and gradually raise the time range so the tank "can get used to the amount of lighting?" For example, start with a 4 hour period then in 2 weeks make it 6 hours and 2 weeks/ 8 hours and so on?
3. Or do I just leave it on for the 10 hours and "acclimate" the light for two months at 50% or higher?
EDIT: "acclimate" means to "ramp up the power to an x amount of days. So if acclimate is set to 30 days then it would ramp up the full power per the profile in 30 days.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back