OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"NIST traceable"? Guess I better Google that. DOH!
3 cheapies of different types are reading pretty much the same so at least they're consistent,,, even if not accurate. (double doh?)

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"NIST traceable"? Guess I better Google that. DOH!
3 cheapies of different types are reading pretty much the same so at least they're consistent,,, even if not accurate. (double doh?)
If you have 3 that agree with eachother, thats certainly better than comparing it to just 1 since who knows if the one is even in the ballpark :)

I have an industrial calibrated (not NIST tracable) ph/temp device that reads spot on with one of the NIST devices i use at work.

Fwiw, we went around and around with the scientists that were using like 4 different devices to measure one fridge temp and they all read something different +/- 5 degrees.
Theyre supposed to be going off our ONE temp monitoring device (calibrated yearly to NIST) but were using old broken out of date manual thermometers. (Maybe NIST but certainly not calibrated and up to date)

I always reference this "ONE" themometer with everything to gauge accuracy from :)

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 3 that agree with eachother, thats certainly better than comparing it to just 1 since who knows if the one is even in the ballpark :)

I have an industrial calibrated (not NIST tracable) ph/temp device that reads spot on with one of the NIST devices i use at work.

Fwiw, we went around and around with the scientists that were using like 4 different devices to measure one fridge temp and they all read something different +/- 5 degrees.
Theyre supposed to be going off our ONE temp monitoring device (calibrated yearly to NIST) but were using old broken out of date manual thermometers. (Maybe NIST but certainly not calibrated and up to date)

I always reference this "ONE" themometer with everything to gauge accuracy from :)
So,,, if you were to recommend an accurate aquarium thermometer, whether always in tank or even just one I could use to manually check variance on the cheapies I'm already using, do you have any specific makes/models you'd point me to?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,,, if you were to recommend an accurate aquarium thermometer, whether always in tank or even just one I could use to manually check variance on the cheapies I'm already using, do you have any specific makes/models you'd point me to?
I use this one at work to check water temps. Comes with a certificate :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back