OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx I am checking that site , BTW any particular brand we must use since it needs to be reef safe !?

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw i found from a friend it's the material
PLA+ that he is gonna use for making my 3D apex probe....

Is that PLA+reef safe? Thanks..

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx I am checking that site , BTW any particular brand we must use since it needs to be reef safe !?
If you're using it under water, PETG and ABS is what you want.

PLA is reef safe but degrades over rime in saltwater.

One other thing to note is that while those filaments are generally reef safe, the dyes may not be.

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're using it under water, PETG and ABS is what you want.

PLA is reef safe but degrades over rime in saltwater.

One other thing to note is that while those filaments are generally reef safe, the dyes may not be.

I'm not adding any dye it's white in color.
When it degrades, will it break into pieces or crack over time? I have a friend here who had that PLA he's had without issues in sw 2 years no issues!

Thx

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not adding any dye it's white in color.
When it degrades, will it break into pieces or crack over time? I have a friend here who had that PLA he's had without issues in sw 2 years no issues!

Thx
It's corn based so it's going to eventually degrade and become brittle. Depending on what you're using it for, it may not matter, however the consensus is that PLA should only be used for parts outside the water, while most use PETG for things that need to be submerged.

Usually filament void of dyes are grey in color. white does have dye added. But from what I understand, it's the reds and oranges that have the potential to kill inverts and corals. Not to say all white are in the clear, but the best test to be sure is to placer a new print in a container with a bunch of snails for a couple days and see how well they do.

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's corn based so it's going to eventually degrade and become brittle. Depending on what you're using it for, it may not matter, however the consensus is that PLA should only be used for parts outside the water, while most use PETG for things that need to be submerged.

Usually filament void of dyes are grey in color. white does have dye added. But from what I understand, it's the reds and oranges that have the potential to kill inverts and corals. Not to say all white are in the clear, but the best test to be sure is to placer a new print in a container with a bunch of snails for a couple days and see how well they do.
Thx, where to buy a reel of PETG?

Actually the holding apparatus is going to be above salt water correct because it has to be screwed into the point where the screw is about water and the probe is touching just two or three inches inside the water

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, where to buy a reel of PETG?

Actually the holding apparatus is going to be above salt water correct because it has to be screwed into the point where the screw is about water and the probe is touching just two or three inches inside the water

PETG is available at many places, i use the Hatchbox brand from Amazon for both PETG and PLA and have been happy with it, price is good, and i can usually get it within a day or 2. Here is a link.

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx...btw how do you thread the hole where plastic screw holds the probe? And screws i can get from HD I'm guessing?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back