3d Printed Aquarium Parts Archive

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i will circle back with directions but can build a 50x70, 100x70, 5x7 plate, 7x7 plate, 1/2" options and 3/4" options (im not 100% sure on the 7x7 but if you put two N52 magnets 60x10x5 on the top and bottom and scale the outside magnet piece out so theres something ridiculous like 5-6 magnets stacked im sure it'll hold on 3/4" because I am literally right there with 2 on the inside 1 on the outside i just havent had time to do 2/2 or 2/3 2/4, etc
i just realized i was missing a plate for the outside magnet on the 7x7 , and a couple of the cylinder cages. there are a lot of options, and it will not cost you much to print them until you figure out what you want

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to use the housings, but I use them to speed up the process. Take care to ensure your north south magnets are facing the same way. You should be gluing epoxy to the back of the plate, and plastic to the back of the horizontal cage. Negative horizontal expansion values will increase the size of the holes, and opposite. Clips help keep the cage pulling off from extra hungries. File is on thingiverse and I would love to walk through and questions. I used to get this out of the tank, loaded, back in under 60 seconds. IMG_4836.jpeg IMG_4839.jpeg IMG_4841.jpeg IMG_4843.jpeg IMG_4844.jpeg
IMG_4836.jpeg

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just realized i was missing a plate for the outside magnet on the 7x7 , and a couple of the cylinder cages. there are a lot of options, and it will not cost you much to print them until you figure out what you want
The cylinder version is interesting, I don't know if it could stand up to fish beating on it. I think the lever effect would make it easy to knock off the wall. if it was weighed down and a line leading to maybe an outside attachment it could reasonably sit on the bottom.

Last edited:

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to use the housings, but I use them to speed up the process. Take care to ensure your north south magnets are facing the same way. You should be gluing epoxy to the back of the plate, and plastic to the back of the horizontal cage. Negative horizontal expansion values will increase the size of the holes, and opposite. Clips help keep the cage pulling off from extra hungries. File is on thingiverse and I would love to walk through and questions. I used to get this out of the tank, loaded, back in under 60 seconds. IMG_4836.jpeg IMG_4839.jpeg IMG_4841.jpeg IMG_4843.jpeg IMG_4844.jpeg
IMG_4836.jpeg
Why not just pause the print, insert the magnet and then seal it in with the rest of the print

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cylinder version is interesting, I don't know if it could stand up to fish beating on it. I think the lever effect would make it easy to knock off the wall. if it was weighed down and a line leading to maybe an outside attachment it could reasonably sit on the bottom.
i had , out of pure laziness , about 7 or 8 of them that i was rotating on a 125 with a bunch of hungry fish. one in the middle one on either side. i got tired of taking the 4 minutes to load it, and decided i wanted to quicken the process. what do you mean be the lever effect ?

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had , out of pure laziness , about 7 or 8 of them that i was rotating on a 125 with a bunch of hungry fish. one in the middle one on either side. i got tired of taking the 4 minutes to load it, and decided i wanted to quicken the process. what do you mean be the lever effect ?
By lever I mean you have a long shape attached at a center focal point. The amount of force needed to dislodge it is tied to the length. So a big fish hitting the end could knock it off the wall.

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By lever I mean you have a long shape attached at a center focal point. The amount of force needed to dislodge it is tied to the length. So a big fish hitting the end could knock it off the wall.
so in little kid lemonade stand terms what you mean is the magnets would be better off at the top, or the bottom, or one on top and bottom?

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of 3D print light diffuser for Viparspectra lights ? Something like this ?

Wanting something more to hold a piece of diffuser in place rather than keeping light from bleeding out. I was using magnets super glued to piece of frosted acrylic but they kept coming off.

Last edited:

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of 3D print light diffuser for Viparspectra lights ? Something like this ?

Wanting something more to hold a piece of diffuser in place rather than keeping light from bleeding out. I was using magnets super glued to piece of frosted acrylic but they kept coming off.
if you can let me know the dimensions of the light and the relative locations to a fixed point (i like to start at corners) of the cooling parts of the light i can get one out pretty quickly

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a good nori feeder? I printed one that worked ok but was thinking maybe we could design a better model.
not sure if anyone is around at this point in the night , but i will have a "Nori Feeder Sausage Time" thread here tonight, start to finish how to print, settings , blah blah, it is only what I do, not what you should do. I fully and extremely encourage you to figure out how the pieces will work for you in your situation. you may scale pieces up and down without losing a relative 60x10x5 mm shape to place the magnets, as well as many of the slicers being premade with a measure tool, and if not you can buy an add on. dont sleep on doing a significant amount of your work in the slicer. they are wonderful tools. would it be preferential as its own thread or a single comment on this post, i am currently printing the pieces and should be built over the course of the next second all nighter of this week now

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back