3D printed builds - lets inspire others

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing! If you want to send me dimensions, I can easily modify the print to any size and email you the STL :)

This right here is what I am talking about! It's great that we have a helpful community for us makers here.

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Genetics I have only been printing since Christmas. And I had a bum printer to start with. I am now selling things from my printers and have 3. It seems like a steep learning curve but you will catch up very quickly. It's a lot of fun once you learn how to level on the fly, set your extrusion multiplier and tweak your slicing software to the material you are printing with.

If you need any help I am sure myself and folks here can be of assistance. I wouldn't be doing it like I am if it weren't for a few of the folks in this thread.

Thanks!

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing! If you want to send me dimensions, I can easily modify the print to any size and email you the STL :)

Thanks for the offer, very kind of you :) but it should only take 10min to draw something similar. I really enjoy drawing my own prints (even if I take inspiration from another design), and the more I practise CAD the better I get!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the offer, very kind of you :) but it should only take 10min to draw something similar. I really enjoy drawing my own prints (even if I take inspiration from another design), and the more I practise CAD the better I get!

No problem- I agree, it’s a pretty simple design. Quick sketch with some arcs, mirrored, a symmetric extrusion, and then fillets galore :D.

I just checked Prusa stats- 80 days of printing in the 90 days I’ve had it LOL

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem- I agree, it’s a pretty simple design. Quick sketch with some arcs, mirrored, a symmetric extrusion, and then fillets galore :D.

Uhm.... SLOW DOWN!

LOL!

OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just in awe. I received an ender 3 but had been trying to print in PETG. So much more work.

How’s PLA holding up? Other than with heat it seems to do a great job and look sharp.

The PLA in my system has been up and running for close to a year. My peers tanks have been much longer. The only fail thus far was the heater bracket. Everything else is rock solid, even the skimmer.

Love this!

Thanks man!! I’m slowly making progress on my goal.... I want to be the “go to” guy when anyone needs something custom. My answer will ALWAYS be “Sure, no problem!”.

Same here. Its fun, offsets some costs and adds something so much nicer than the generic pvc looks.

My hold up at this point is the drawing part. I am getting a bit better. I practice every day.

Same here as well. My start up has been successful thus far. The issue I am running into is demand. We ran PETg for a while and that bogged everything down, plus new requests eat up a lot of design time. The show this weekend will be a good place for me to sit down and design as i wont be home with chores in the way lol...

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just in awe. I received an ender 3 but had been trying to print in PETG. So much more work.

How’s PLA holding up? Other than with heat it seems to do a great job and look sharp.

Also, I just noticed this.

PETG is no harder to print, unless you have extreme overhangs. It’s almost certainly your settings- and if you like, I can send you a pre-sliced object (gcode) to prove it :p

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PETG is no harder to print, unless you have extreme overhangs. It’s almost certainly your settings- and if you like, I can send you a pre-sliced object (gcode) to prove it :p

It’s not harder to print once you get all the nuances down. It just took a little while to get all of them figured out. I could print PLA out of the box without issue but PETG is not something I think you could print out of the box.

I’ll gladly take your Goode file and see if there is something different in your settings.

OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And to echo this, PETg runs great on our machines. We just get more stringing on longer prints so we reduce our batch sizes to compensate. There may be something for us to learn and tweak in the settings, but this is our experience thus far.

Basically, when we run 16 objects that take 24 hours to print, the last four failed every time due to material build up on the nozzle. So we reduced it by half and havent had the issue since. At the end of the batch, wipe down the nozzle and hit start.

OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, if that is an open invite... I would love to see what others are doing to make their prints better.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my oldest son, Daniel, got flexible filament to work on an Ender 3 last night. I don't know how I overlooked the settings he used but, at least it works now.

Bed temp 70 Extruder temp 240 speed 30mm
No rafts, brims or skirts. No supports.
Make sure the fan is OFF for the first 3 layers then at 75%. This greatly assists layer adhesion.
We use WinSinn aluminum extruder upgrades from Amazon with upgraded bowden tube and fittings. Stock everything else basically and unscented aquanet on the bed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7ZT7RX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I printed a wedding band for myself so I can wear it while I am working on stuff and not risk the real thing. At first glance you don't notice it's not my Tungsten one.

:)

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to echo this, PETg runs great on our machines. We just get more stringing on longer prints so we reduce our batch sizes to compensate. There may be something for us to learn and tweak in the settings, but this is our experience thus far.

Basically, when we run 16 objects that take 24 hours to print, the last four failed every time due to material build up on the nozzle. So we reduced it by half and havent had the issue since. At the end of the batch, wipe down the nozzle and hit start.

What do you mean the last 4 fail. is your printer printing one item at a time and not jumping to each item. Are the last 4 items much taller then the others to where they have been completed .. When i have a multi print going if it fails every thing being printed with that height and above fails...

Just Curious

mrjoev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean the last 4 fail. is your printer printing one item at a time and not jumping to each item. Are the last 4 items much taller then the others to where they have been completed .. When i have a multi print going if it fails every thing being printed with that height and above fails...

Just Curious
i was thinking the same thing as well.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you get stringing starting the longer your machine is running this is most likely a heat creep issue in the Hot-end throat. If you can increase your heat break cooling , Ptfe tube change you can eliminate this . Since i switched to a v6 clone hot end with 40x15 mm fans I have none of these issues any longer and have run 30 hour prints a few times.

I also use very low Retraction with higher retraction speed and the Fastest travel time vs print detail your printer can handle...

Just thoughts from my setup.. every printer is different for sure..

PET-G Is worth the extra learning

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the ring. It's rough I am going to improve it tonight.

ring.JPG

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sir are a MAD MAN!

Haha, I did the same thing when I got my tarantula online the first time, literally a solid few weeks of printing anything and everything. Just spent like 7 hours on the weekend trying to get it back online, but one of my z-axis steppers just isn't working properly, actually bound up the Z axis slide for the hot end and created even more problems. So tempted to grab a MK3S, but just can't justify, need to get this working again given the time and money I've sunk into it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back