3D Printed Coral Bandsaw

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Direct drive, I like the idea of belt, but I don't think its suitable for this application. Do you have pic or source for these small brushes?
My Inland uses a thick piece of leather.

20191214_131743.jpg

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! What are the approximate dimensions? What will you be using for the motor?

Off the top of my head, roughly 20"H, footprint 14"x14"? I can get specifics once I check the model. the motor that I am looking at is a 50-70rpm 110v motor.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
woodcraft rockler , I was looking at harbor freight, little band saw w/ aluminum table might be for some without the skills to do a poor mans frag saw. Blade is 50. Give it a bath when done it may work.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.JPG
2.JPG

Here are some update pics. Found some stainless bearings that may work in a saltwater application. Still under progress. Will be printing soon.

If you want to make a functional, "Steampunk?" tool you should think about ditching the band saw motor and adding either a pedal or hand crank to drive the blade. (Keep the sump space for the cooling pump.) Or maybe a highbred design with both features?

The difficulty with these saws that I have experienced is that speed control of the blade (generally one speed) doesn't allow for finessing the cutting process like old fashioned hand tools require/allow.

And don't forget to wear goggles, you can easily lose an eye to fragments, bacteria or palytoxin's during operation. Which reminds me, some older grinders had a clear glass or plexiglass shield to keep stuff from flying unto the operators face. That might be a nice addition.

Cool printer project!

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
woodcraft rockler , I was looking at harbor freight, little band saw w/ aluminum table might be for some without the skills to do a poor mans frag saw. Blade is 50. Give it a bath when done it may work.

I try to stick to non-mechanical or electrical tools from HF, like hand tools for sacrificial use (modified tools). I will say though, their 20 ton press and their pallet jack are work horses, and good bang for your buck.

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to make a functional, "Steampunk?" tool you should think about ditching the band saw motor and adding either a pedal or hand crank to drive the blade. (Keep the sump space for the cooling pump.) Or maybe a highbred design with both features?

The difficulty with these saws that I have experienced is that speed control of the blade (generally one speed) doesn't allow for finessing the cutting process like old fashioned hand tools require/allow.

And don't forget to wear goggles, you can easily lose an eye to fragments, bacteria or palytoxin's during operation. Which reminds me, some older grinders had a clear glass or plexiglass shield to keep stuff from flying unto the operators face. That might be a nice addition.

Cool printer project!

I am not trying to make a Steampunk tool. Just trying to get the most rigidity and use the least amount of material possible. I thought about using topology optimization for the frame, but it would look a bit funky.

I thought about doing a variable speed motor, but I am trying to keep this project under $100. DoAll saws have a neat variable pulley system, but I want to keep this design as simple and easy to clean as possible.

biomekanic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few thoughts:

* Have the drainage water go through a sock to collect 'bits'
* Have the drained water go through a charcoal filter, I believe that would help eliminate the palytoxin problems

And I second the eye shield.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have a lot of modeling to do. Guides, scrapers, water tray, etc are all on the list.

I also think I am going to change the spokes on the wheel. Not that big of a fan of the design.

Don't get me wrong, I know modeling is time consuming work and can take considerable time to work out details. I know the end product isn't always ideal to what you had in mind but your efforts are appreciated!

Also, waste water should be flushed right down a drain (like drainage over side of the sink and rinsed down). Simple is good ;)

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong, I know modeling is time consuming work and can take considerable time to work out details. I know the end product isn't always ideal to what you had in mind but your efforts are appreciated!

Also, waste water should be flushed right down a drain (like drainage over side of the sink and rinsed down). Simple is good ;)

Very time consuming. haha

Picked up my bearings today and the top wheel is printing.
IMG_1023.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back