3D Printed Coral Bandsaw

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what was the outcome here.......finished?

I finished the band saw, but was unable to remove the axial run out from the wheels. I think I can fix it by machining the 2 spacers with shoulders and pressing the bearings into the spacers instead of the 3D printed wheels. It was a fun project, but sank way too much time into it. haha

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the STL files available?
No. Unfortunately the STL files would not be of any use to anyone because I did not design it so others can print it and build their own. It was built with parts I had on hand and not readily available components, like the motor and its housing. Plus, the files need to be revised.

I would also need to generate a parts list, modify the original CAD files, find a readily available motor, and make instructions so that someone can print a project like this.

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please someone take over if so. This project is COOL!

I was unsure if printed wheels would actually ever work as they need to be weighted perfectly or the shimmy would transfer to the blade.
The 3D printed wheels worked fine, they just needed to be trued. I thought the bearing bores would have been fine straight from the 3D printer, wishful thinking. haha

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3D printed wheels worked fine, they just needed to be trued. I thought the bearing bores would have been fine straight from the 3D printer, wishful thinking. haha
So you were able to get the whole design up to running speed with a blade under tension and there wasn't a vibration issue?

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you were able to get the whole design up to running speed with a blade under tension and there wasn't a vibration issue?
The wheels always had a slight wobble, about .015" runout, but no vibrations other than the motor running. The frame had enough flex that it would absorb any.

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could 3D print a MultiBot CNC and then machine the parts you need out of layered acrylic or aluminum.
That's a neat build, but I don't think I will be building one. I have access to large 4 and 5axis VMCs, but mainly use them for metals. I was able to get around the wheel wobble without machining. IMO, 0.015" axial is acceptable runout for this application. It doesn't affect the performance.

I though about offering similar bandsaw like this as a DIY kit, in the early design stages of this build. You get all the pieces and you assemble it yourself, but I didn't think it would have much interest, so never went through with it. I'll see if I can find the design and post some pictures.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a neat build, but I don't think I will be building one. I have access to large 4 and 5axis VMCs, but mainly use them for metals. I was able to get around the wheel wobble without machining. IMO, 0.015" axial is acceptable runout for this application. It doesn't affect the performance.

I though about offering similar bandsaw like this as a DIY kit, in the early design stages of this build. You get all the pieces and you assemble it yourself, but I didn't think it would have much interest, so never went through with it. I'll see if I can find the design and post some pictures.
Could the design not be simplified to chuck into a drill motor?

Frame, wheels, guided as one unit.

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the design not be simplified to chuck into a drill motor?

Frame, wheels, guided as one unit.
You can chuck the lower wheel to a drill, but I think you will find that a drill has too much torque for this application without some sort of speed control.

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most drills nowaday, have an adjustable torque setting as well as a high speed for drilling.
That is true, but even at the lowest speed and torque setting, the average drill has too much torque for this application. You want a motor that has enough juice to turn the wheels and be able to make a cut, but that is not too powerful that it is dangerous. The motor I used for my 3D printed bandsaw was from a drill and it was way too powerful.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true, but even at the lowest speed and torque setting, the average drill has too much torque for this application. You want a motor that has enough juice to turn the wheels and be able to make a cut, but that is not too powerful that it is dangerous. The motor I used for my 3D printed bandsaw was from a drill and it was way too powerful.
Using a toothed,or abrasive blade?

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the rough design for my DIY bandsaw. The thought behind this is that you can buy parts like the abrasive blade, motor, etc and print the ones you need. You can then assemble your own coral bandsaw for less than the commercially available ones, and still have good cutting performance. Please keep in mind that this is a rough design, so I never added features like a blade guide, water pump, manual tensioner to the CAD model.

One of the reasons I chose to use PVC for the frame is that it allows one to get creative with filament and pvc colors.

Bandsaw Assembly.JPG
Bandsaw Assembly1.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back