3D printed test kit organizer. (Submit your kit dimensions an I'll try make it also)

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on designing an organizer tray for my test kits. Tired of them in boxes. I plan to make them as modular blocks that can be joined together. So it can be customized to anyone's specific kits. Part of it will be a vial drying rack also.

I have most Red Sea Pro kits (Ca,KH,Mg,NO3,PO4). So that's covered, except I quit using the PO4 and pitched the reagents because I didn't find the test reliable. So if you have those PO4 reagents and use them I need the bottle sizes.

I have a Hanna Phosphorus, so I can get dimensions for the checker, vials, and reagent packs. I know some other Hanna checkers use more reagents, so if you want to post those dimensions I can make a version for it. The checkers themselves I'm assuming are all the same size.

If you want to submit a kit, please include a picture of everything in it, including spatulas, instruction cards, etc.... The most important dimension is going to be the diameters of the reagent containers, vials, etc... I'd prefer the measurements in Metric (mm), from something like a caliper if possible. If you have a steel ruler and an good eye, that might work.

If someone submits a kit and you want one also, give their post a like and I'll focus on the most popular ones first. When I get something I like for myself I'll share some pics. It will take me a little while, I'm just starting and I plan to digitize some odd shaped things like the Hanna checker. I'll make them for a fair price, or share the .stl file if you have a printer and want to make one for yourself.

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a CAD rendering for my Red Sea Foundation and a picture of the kit contents (as it will sit in tray). It will hold all reagents, instruction cards, the titrator, 10 ml syringe, the (3) 1 ml syringes, the spoon for Ca reagent B (yea, no more rubber band!). Reagents are in rows for each test and placed in the order used. The vials will be in a separate drying rack tray. The "T" tabs on the right side will lock it into another tray. This tray has "T" sockets underneath on the left so a different tray could attach to the left. I'm going to make little finished edge strips to cover the T's and continue the edge radius for the first and last tray units (those are just for looks and not needed).

I should have it printed tomorrow, and the other designs will be faster since I have an adjustable and re-usable base sketch in CAD. Working on the vial storage/drying rack now.
Red Sea Foundation.JPG

Red Sea Foundation Reagents.JPG

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev_1 of Red Sea Foundation printed today, I'm pretty happy with it. I'm going to make a couple minor changes. I want the spoon to be held a little better, I'm thinking on that. I'm going to tighten up the instruction pocket a little so they don't lean as much (I made it a little wider than I thought needed anyways). Also if I tighten up the titrator handle pocket a little it won't be able to be knocked over accidentally. Probably a little nit-picky, but that just me.

RSF_r1 (1).jpg RSF_r1 (2).jpg

I made a small blank tray and the interlocking tabs work good. Still working on drying rack design, I keep coming up with better ways to do it. So it's taking longer... I'll update when I have something else done.

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work, can you share the file?

Yes, when I am happy with the final designs I will share the files. That is my intention, with the standard usage rights of basically "you can print this for yourself, you can't sell it or distribute it without permission..."

RIreefGuy

Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. I'm def interested. I dont have printer yet so would prob want to to print em. Lmk or PM what cost would be =)

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. I'm def interested. I dont have printer yet so would prob want to to print em. Lmk or PM what cost would be =)

Thanks, I'm focused on design right now. Once I'm happy with the design, I'll figure out material costs and options for me to print/sell. I will also then share files for personal use.

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottle drying rack Rev_1. I'm really excited about this one. One of my biggest annoyances with using boxes was I couldn't pack up my rinsed vials because they were wet. So they sat on my desk on a towel for a couple days. Now I can just put them away like this. Functionally good right now, bottles don't fall over if bumped. I'm going to add a little more clearance for better air circulation (a couple chamfers into the drip tray). Plus a little reinforcement rib on the fingers (I smashed it in my backpack and broke one, you might see the glue :)). Probably still won't survive me sitting on it, but it's an easy improvement.
Bottle Rack 1.jpg

I thought about this one quite a bit, I was going to make a place for caps also. I decided I really don't use the caps much. I'm more of a swirl the jar instead of shake the jar guy. I'll probably just make a unit with a bin for caps. I plan to make some generic bins for odds and ends anyways. What are your thought on caps? Do you use them much? On the Hanna checker I always do, so that will certainly have a place to store/dry caps.

Here are the two combined:
WP_20190425_21_35_33_Pro[5933].jpg

I'm on to the next one now (probably the Hanna Phosphorus). After I get a Rev_1 for the ones I want, I will circle back around and apply any lessons learned for a Rev_2. At that point they should be good to share. Stay patient, I'm working on it. Any ideas welcome!

Ravan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottle drying rack Rev_1. I'm really excited about this one. One of my biggest annoyances with using boxes was I couldn't pack up my rinsed vials because they were wet. So they sat on my desk on a towel for a couple days. Now I can just put them away like this. Functionally good right now, bottles don't fall over if bumped. I'm going to add a little more clearance for better air circulation (a couple chamfers into the drip tray). Plus a little reinforcement rib on the fingers (I smashed it in my backpack and broke one, you might see the glue :)). Probably still won't survive me sitting on it, but it's an easy improvement.
Bottle Rack 1.jpg

I thought about this one quite a bit, I was going to make a place for caps also. I decided I really don't use the caps much. I'm more of a swirl the jar instead of shake the jar guy. I'll probably just make a unit with a bin for caps. I plan to make some generic bins for odds and ends anyways. What are your thought on caps? Do you use them much? On the Hanna checker I always do, so that will certainly have a place to store/dry caps.

I'm on to the next one now (probably the Hanna Phosphorus). After I get a Rev_1 for the ones I want, I will circle back around and apply any lessons learned for a Rev_2. At that point they should be good to share. Stay patient, I'm working on it. Any ideas welcome!

For the caps maybe just a small depression to hold them in between the bottles. Where they sit on the edge and can still dry if used.

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the caps maybe just a small depression to hold them in between the bottles. Where they sit on the edge and can still dry if used.

That's kind of what I was thinking initially when designing this module. Then I started thinking super modular more on this, "let people configure their own tray mix and match". Maybe I should make a narrow rack for caps also. Sitting on their diameter, but maybe tilted a bit. If someone doesn't need it, then don't configure your tray with it. If you want it then add it.

Thanks for the input!

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bottle Rack 1.jpg

You should run an airline fitting out the side and then split into three, 1 in the each bottle. Then you can have an air dried bottle drying system.

I totally wrote this as a joke...but my next build is totally going to have this.

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of not a joke, I've actually considered/explored putting a small DC fan into a drying rack. I've pretty much figured out how I would do it.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's kind of not a joke, I've actually considered/explored putting a small DC fan into a drying rack. I've pretty much figured out how I would do it.

If you use a dc fan or flower, you could drop a low voltage resistive heating element in front of it and have warm air blow to dry faster.

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use a dc fan or flower, you could drop a low voltage resistive heating element in front of it and have warm air blow to dry faster.

OK, now your getting a little over the top! I'm not complaining about that, I love the idea. I thought I was being crazy for thinking about adding a fan. Since I'm not the only one with that idea maybe I'm not so crazy. In my general idea and an experiment with a fan, a vial could dry in an hour. If it needs to be faster than that it would probably be more cost effective to get more vials, since you are testing every hour. Also it does not need to be bone dry to use for a test (so what if there are RODI vapors). Adding heating elements and thermal protection adds a lot of complexity and safety issues. Love the thought, but no way am I going there (unless 1000 people pre pay for one). I'll do the fan idea if a couple people pinky promise they will use it.

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://printedreefingsolutions.com/ This guy is at all the Frag shows. He has been doing this for years.:)
Those are nice. It looks like some interlock, but most look stand alone. I don't like a few things about those designs related to not being as compact as possible. Prices are a maybe a little high. I can print them for under that in material cost using an industrial printer with nylon/carbon fiber. Which is overkill, but it's what I have. Someone could probably buy a low end printer for $250 and print my files $1-2 each using a cheaper material. So a few trays at $20+shipping would pay for a good portion of the printer cost. I'd rather encourage that and share my designs. I really don't want to get into printing these as a business. I'll do it as a favor if you don't have/can't buy a printer.

Anyhow I've been busy with the kids events lately, so haven't made much progress but I'm getting back to it now. I have been using what I have so far and I'm loving it. It is almost fun to pick thing up and put them back exactly where they belong. I'll keep updating my progress and when I'm happy with the designs I will share all the files. The Hanna checker is next on my agenda.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back