3d printing plastic reef safe

biofish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I use PLA in fresh and saltwater aquariums and have witnessed no harm to the fish, or coral. I have also not seen any noticeable deterioration. Before adding the 3D printed parts to the aquarium, I took measurements of the components before they went into service, and I check them roughly every 6 months and see no significant wear or deterioration. After a year, the parts measure only a couple thousands (+/-.002") off the original measurement.

That being said, always use caution when experimenting with your aquarium, the lives of the inhabitants depend on our care. This includes the use of 3D printed parts, other plastics or coatings.
Now that it is 1.5 years later.. do you still not see any issues with your PLA prints in your aquarium?
I was about to start making baffles for a sump... but I do have PETG as well.

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that it is 1.5 years later.. do you still not see any issues with your PLA prints in your aquarium?
I was about to start making baffles for a sump... but I do have PETG as well.
Have over 30+ PLA components in both saltwater and freshwater, no problems what so ever. Print away.

I did noticed distortion on a surface skimmer I made a while back, it was 14"L x 2"H x 0.375"W, it was out by about .0625"-0.125" in the center. I tried printing it in PLA, ABS, PETG, all distorted the same. Laser cut it out of polycarbonate and no more distortion.

biofish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have over 30+ PLA components in both saltwater and freshwater, no problems what so ever. Print away.

I did noticed distortion on a surface skimmer I made a while back, it was 14"L x 2"H x 0.375"W, it was out by about .0625"-0.125" in the center. I tried printing it in PLA, ABS, PETG, all distorted the same. Laser cut it out of polycarbonate and no more distortion.
I am looking to print out baffles for a sump.. Never done it before, but if one fails it isn't a disaster. Know anyone else who has done it?
Thanks for your help.

mouscacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I don't believe PLA is really biodegradable, and after watching several youtube vids that did small experiments to show the breakdown after certain time intervals, I still print in PETG for the aquarium parts. Whilst the part may not come out as "pretty" compared to PLA, it is good enough to be used in my every day items in my tank. Not to mention, PETG is slightly more durable than PLA and retains shape better during the print. Just my $0.02.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have used pla for frag plugs without issue, but my printer only has pla support. My printer was also free so im not going to complain, havent played that much with it tbh.
Sketching a housing atm, to print for an autofeeder with it, but that wont touch water, so not that concerned.
PLA degrades over time it won’t happen right away it’s effects are similar to carbon dosing but you also get the coloring which can be bad... don’t use PLA I guarantee your printer can print in other materials like PETG which is safe to use it melts at similar temperatures and is an easy material to work with

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back