3D Printing thread

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to start back over at page 1 :( I've been looking through the thread to find a decent printer to start with that can make usable stuff (no idea what that would even be yet :) ) but there are a lot of diff brands you lads and lasses are tossing out. Not to mention upgrades!!!

Reviews on Amazon are also interesting that is why I keep coming back here. Some of you I know are making commercial / retail products (not that is what I'm after) so figured this is the source to remove the noise. Nice thread though but back to page one I go :)

Honestly, if you can afford it, go Prusa. They are amazing.

If you want something less expensive, go with the Ender 3. There is so much support for them it's crazy. And they are easy to tinker with once you get the basics.

I just got my second one yesterday and assembled it last night.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to start back over at page 1 :( I've been looking through the thread to find a decent printer to start with that can make usable stuff (no idea what that would even be yet :) ) but there are a lot of diff brands you lads and lasses are tossing out. Not to mention upgrades!!!

Reviews on Amazon are also interesting that is why I keep coming back here. Some of you I know are making commercial / retail products (not that is what I'm after) so figured this is the source to remove the noise. Nice thread though but back to page one I go :)
I would say at this point the highest quality budget printer is the Creality Ender 3. You can get one on ebay for $200. It's not outstanding out of the box but it's better than anything else that I can think of in that price range.

Woot recently had a deal on an ender 3 clone for $160. It's an open source printer so anyone can sell printers based on the design.

If you want to spend a bit more I can't recommend anything more than the Original Prusa i3 mk3. It's around $700 but as you can see by Harold's posts, it's just a fantastic machine. Lots of creature comforts like mesh bed leveling, filament run out sensors and a great slicer software that is set up for the machine.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's project is to make a filament runout sensor for my first machine (my test subject for any upgrades that may go on a machine in the farm).

After that I need to look into the BL Touch sensor for the ender 3 printers. The induction sensor is nice for auto bed leveling but it's sensitivity changes with print bed temperatures so I have to adjust the Z offset every time I change materials.

Oh, and order more filament :(

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks for the info. Quick question (beginner):

Say I pickup the Ender 3. Is there anything that should be bought at the same time (upgrades)?

If I buy upgrades does that bring it close to the price of the Prusa?

If it edges closer to the Prusa and the base Prusa does not require upgrades then in my head it seems I should just pick up the Prusa. Figured I would ask. I can get the Ender with my rewards so that is a nice option.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would order the all aluminum extruder upgrade ($10 amazon), Bowden tube upgrade to PTFE ($10 Amazon).

And get a piece of window glass cut at lowes for $3 to fit the bed.

In all honesty, that's it.

I bought an EZABL. Biggest piece of crap to come down the pike. I sent it back and am fighting for a refund.

I might, at some point, try an all metal hot end, but, for the material I print with (PETG and PLA+) it's not necessary.

Also, another recommendation: print out the adapter to move the spool to the side and the fan cover. You will thank me.

Read the article on calibrating extrusion.

Spool bracket: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3323206

Fan cover: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2999528

Extrusion calibration: https://mattshub.com/2017/04/19/extruder-calibration/

Hope this helps! You can PM me if you need help with any of these things. I will be glad to assist.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Say I pickup the Ender 3. Is there anything that should be bought at the same time (upgrades)?

If it edges closer to the Prusa and the base Prusa does not require upgrades then in my head it seems I should just pick up the Prusa. Figured I would ask. I can get the Ender with my rewards so that is a nice option.

The ender 3 comes with everything it needs to run. From there you can use it to print some improvements. If you want to get the ender 3 up to prusa quality it will take considerable Tinkering skill and messing with firmware as well as purchasing hardware. The only thing I can think of upgrading is getting the metal extruder mount/arm, the acrylic one is weak and I have had several break but I push my machines hard.

If you can afford the prusa just get it. You won't regret it. The only thing to upgrade on the prusa is the module so it can print 4 colors in the same model.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And get a piece of window glass cut at lowes for $3 to fit the bed.

You prefer the glass bed?

I haven't had any problems with the surface that came with my enders.

Then again, I only ever use glass for TPU, I use PEI for the printers that I built. I assume the ender surface is a textured PEI.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You prefer the glass bed?

I haven't had any problems with the surface that came with my enders.

Then again, I only ever use glass for TPU, I use PEI for the printers that I built. I assume the ender surface is a textured PEI.

To be truthful, I was having horrible problems with adhesion that, in retrospect, was probably crappy bed leveling technique and severe under extrusion. I got used to using it so I haven't gone back. I will try with the new one since I forgot glass yesterday. :)

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks all. Appreciate the time, and the thread. It was a good read and looking forward to trying this.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried glass on my first printer. I got tired of cleaning glue, hairspray, saltwater or whatever trick I was using for adhesion. Once I started using petg I was pulling chunks of glass out when I removed prints.

PEI gives me that gloss finish, works for pla, petg, abs and nylon without having to add anything. TPU sticks to it too much so I when I use that (mostly for fun or making frag plug molds) I just clamp glass on top and adjust the Z offset to compensate.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also highly recommend setting up a raspberry pi with octoprint. You can check and control your printer from anywhere you have internet, like apex fusion, and there are a bunch handy plug in like Time-lapse video, notifications....

Doesn't matter if you get a cheap printer or a prusa, the raspberry pi is worth the $50 (pi and quality power supply, software is free)

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is cool. I'm guessing would also work on a Cor 15? I've been looking for something like this though I do not own a printer. This is something I could see me trying to make!

I didn't directly try it on my COR15, but they have the same inlet threads, so yes, I'm 99% certain it would work.

Back