3D printing with calcium carbonate?

Marine biologists have started printing complex reef structures from calcium carbonate any 3D printing experts want to chime in with thoughts? I wonder if this could be done by members of the hobby or if our home 3D printers are not yet equipped for this? Imagine 3D printing your whole aquascape no more Marco!

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into this. 3D printing for the ocean sounds like a good idea but after I saw what was growing on it seems like a bad idea. What I learn in this hobby is the only way to make the corals grow are keeping the water and the temperature stable. The guy has good intentions which is why these can be used in reef tanks.

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into this. 3D printing for the ocean sounds like a good idea but after I saw what was growing on it seems like a bad idea. What I learn in this hobby is the only way to make the corals grow are keeping the water and the temperature stable. The guy has good intentions which is why these can be used in reef tanks.
Did you get to see what the 3D printed structures look like after being placed in the ocean? Couldn't find any pictures of this I imagine it would be like dry rock in our tanks it would look ugly for a bit until the undesirable algae is outcompeted. Printing a whole aquascape whatever shape you wanted would be amazing for the reef trade. Agree 100% on stability and coral culture I'm mainly talking aesthetically with the 3D structures.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get to see what the 3D printed structures look like after being placed in the ocean? Couldn't find any pictures of this I imagine it would be like dry rock in our tanks it would look ugly for a bit until the undesirable algae is outcompeted. Printing a whole aquascape whatever shape you wanted would be amazing for the reef trade. Agree 100% on stability and coral culture I'm mainly talking aesthetically with the 3D structures.
Yeah i saw it having some macro algae and sponges on it. Here’s the interview https://abc7chicago.com/coral-reef-climate-change-damaged-pollution/10993177/

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back