3x MP40QD flow help

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - another dreaded MP’x’ pump placement thread.

I’ll cut right to it. I have a 5x2x2ft tank and use 2 sides for viewing - the left pane and front pane.

I’m trying to avoid placing any pumps on the left. So for now I have 2 on. The right different heights and one on the back wall at the opposite end (been playing with anti-sync and independently running it).

Is my current setup the best I can get it before putting one of the MP40s on the opposite glass? Also have dual nozzle returns on both return - I can point those differently too if someone sees an improvement.

All critique and suggestions welcomed! Don’t hold back.

Front
IMG_3445.jpeg

Right
IMG_3453.jpeg

Left
IMG_3452.jpeg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either what @blaxsun says- or sell/trade one for a gyre. Less intrusive on the viewing panel!

.. or simply start with two- you don't know yet where you will need your flow I reckon since you have no coral in the tank! :) Keep the third one now for additional flow if/when required.

Flow is a continuous dance to get right as your coral grow.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about placing all three along the back wall, facing forward?
I’ve thought about this (along with getting a 4th) - it’s just with the center overflow I think that would creat a huge dead spot. I guess I can try it out for a week.

Hindsight I would have opted for an external overflow tank. Last time I was in the hobby I went all custom, which was very rewarding, but also had huge headaches and took forever to get done. This is why I went complete stand/sump setup to start from.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either what @blaxsun says- or sell/trade one for a gyre. Less intrusive on the viewing panel!

.. or simply start with two- you don't know yet where you will need your flow I reckon since you have no coral in the tank! :) Keep the third one now for additional flow if/when required.

Flow is a continuous dance to get right as your coral grow.
I have been on the fence about the gyre types - I’m not sure if I would like to keep up with that type of maintenance. I’ve read they are the hardest to clean and they gunk up way more frequent than any powerhead type.

My big issue with flow right now is I feel there’s too much undertoe because of the back left MP40 so there’s no suitable spot for euphyllia to be completely happy.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve thought about this (along with getting a 4th) - it’s just with the center overflow I think that would creat a huge dead spot. I guess I can try it out for a week.

Hindsight I would have opted for an external overflow tank. Last time I was in the hobby I went all custom, which was very rewarding, but also had huge headaches and took forever to get done. This is why I went complete stand/sump setup to start from.
Two on each side (4 total) could work well.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two on each side (4 total) could work well.
On the back you mean, correct? Do you think enough high flow will get to the middle in front of the overflow box?

Also does anyone have Input on my returns? Should I angle them differently? Really trying to go for everyone’s personal experience, even though I know every tank is different.

I know there’s an optimal turnover rate for internal flow, but I’m wondering if there’s a max laminar flow lengthwise at one time I should stay under (for example 4,000 or 5,000gph etc total combined from the 2 pumps as anything higher might start ripping flesh).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the back you mean, correct? Do you think enough high flow will get to the middle in front of the overflow box?

Also does anyone have Input on my returns? Should I angle them differently? Really trying to go for everyone’s personal experience, even though I know every tank is different.

I know there’s an optimal turnover rate for internal flow, but I’m wondering if there’s a max laminar flow lengthwise at one time I should stay under (for example 4,000 or 5,000gph etc total combined from the 2 pumps as anything higher might start ripping flesh).
Yes. I'd stagger them, ie: 1 higher and 1 lower on each side. Gyres do gunk up more but they're absolute beasts in terms of how much water they can still push even when dirty as sin...

For my return pump I aim for 3-5x flow and 10-20x flow (total) from my powerheads.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I'd stagger them, ie: 1 higher and 1 lower on each side. Gyres do gunk up more but they're absolute beasts in terms of how much water they can still push even when dirty as sin...

For my return pump I aim for 3-5x flow and 10-20x flow (total) from my powerheads.
Yeah I have my return pump at about 7-800GPH which is about 4-5x system turnover. I meant which direction would you point the nozzles in the tank if it were your tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have my return pump at about 7-800GPH which is about 4-5x system turnover. I meant which direction would you point the nozzles in the tank if it were your tank.
The return nozzles? At about 45° and an inch below the water level.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at my OP and check how my nozzles are aimed. Would you change it?
Just a bit. I'd have the front two nozzles point out to the left and right at about 15-20 degrees (that way you get a bit more "bounce" around the tank as opposed to the water coming straight back towards the return outlets).

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What cords?
I think he means inside the tank when you're viewing. You can't see these cords looking from the front glass. The Gyre is really high up as well, and it's an option for sure for a clean setup, but I'm not sure I can keep up with the maintenance.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a bit. I'd have the front two nozzles point out to the left and right at about 15-20 degrees (that way you get a bit more "bounce" around the tank as opposed to the water coming straight back towards the return outlets).
That makes sense about 15-20 degrees towards the corners. I think I'll try that.

I would aim those to any dead spots. The corners by overflow, maybe.
You mean downwards?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense about 15-20 degrees towards the corners. I think I'll try that.

You mean downwards?
Potentially, unless you can get it off the bounce from front glass. Time will show you where the dead spots are that detritus accumulates on the sand. I aim my returns there and let powerheads handle overall flow in tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back