4’x5’ ideal Vortech placement - bare bottom

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ay reefers,

New home here and as a result my life long dream tank is coming tomorrow. 4’x5’(front to back))x22” CDA mixed reef, acro dominant bare bottom.

I have two MP60s and 4 MP40s. I’d love to get your input on what the best powerhead placement may be to minimize detritis accumulation in the display, while not directly blasting some mushroom and other LPS. The tank will be acro dominant, so high flow is a need

I have two potential plans here that I’m considering. Depending on the configuration of the MP60s, that will impact how I plumb the tank (to allow space for an MP60).

The first is where both MP60s are centered down the middle of the tank. In both scenarios, MP40s are on the sides of the tank. Pictured below:
91FA0318-720A-45E0-87A4-EDA1C700E564.jpeg

This would rip through the heart of the tank, ripping detritis out from rock. But it would pose challenges for mushroom, LPS and sleeping fish in their caves at night.

The second plan is a more standard approach where both MP60s are mounted on the back ends of the tank, pushing most flow around the edges of the tank. MP40s still on the sides to help keep flow through rock work.
CD590AF9-75AC-4B7E-9670-59D26D82772B.jpeg

The tank is eurobraced, so I’m not concerned with too much flow from that regard. I want any powerhead that is not on the back wall (so the front end or the two sides) to be at the lower end of the tank so I can minimize any obstructions and can run the external wire underneath the tank instead of over the tank. So that is one limiting factor.

What do you think may be the ideal approach here? I suspect the MP40s may be sufficient enough to blow through the base rockwork removing detritis? Then the MP60s on the back end walls may be able to simulate a gyre or other flow types throughout the exterior edge water columns??

Thank you reefers!! I appreciate your flow consultation : )

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks an awful lot of flow from all those MP’s around the tank

To give you an idea of their power, I have 2 MP60s, one each end and a single MP40 in the middle of the back wall. On near maximum power they provide a massive amount of flow throughout the tank

The tank is nearly 11ft long and deeper at around 530g

As far as removal of debris from the rocks etc., you can use the nutrient export modes for a few hours at night or day and that takes care of that and I have sand.

Just my thoughts anyway

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Yes I don’t want to battle with lower flow issues (more week to week maintenance). Can always dial flow down.

Appreciate your insight.

Structuring the powerheads in the right spots will lead to the best performance vs more power. Any different ideas are more than welcome as well.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 72 x 30 and I run 3 MP40 and 1MP60, none of them run more than 50%. I typically have Nutrient export running for 15mins every 2hrs throughout the light cycle. If I didn't have so many MP40 and spare sides etc I would just use 2 MP60.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back