4.1g Lifegard build

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 14.17 is the the 3.8g (has the side filter so more peninsula style) tank the 12.21 is the one I have and it the 4.1 gallon (cube style).
Okay, weird, it's in the same listing as one thing, with a photo of the cube looking one. 12 is what I was hoping for to fit where my current is. I'm tired of the rounded front being impossible to scrape & not being able to get a lid for it to help with evap. Going to be a slight increase in size but should be fine. Thank you.

Can't wait to see how yours turns out once it's stocked!

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, weird, it's in the same listing as one thing, with a photo of the cube looking one. 12 is what I was hoping for to fit where my current is. I'm tired of the rounded front being impossible to scrape & not being able to get a lid for it to help with evap. Going to be a slight increase in size but should be fine. Thank you.

Can't wait to see how yours turns out once it's stocked!
Will be honest about evaporation mine is not bag. I use about a gallon in a week and half manually topping off twice a day Once in the AM and once in the PM. I know have a ATO so I will be able to keep it more consistent throughout the day. Even with the lights on my tank never gets above 77.5 with a low of 76 when the heater kicks on. I like the open top but may get a mesh top once I get some snails in there to clean up.

Here is a link to the 4.1g like mine.

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be honest about evaporation mine is not bag. I use about a gallon in a week and half manually topping off twice a day Once in the AM and once in the PM. I know have a ATO so I will be able to keep it more consistent throughout the day. Even with the lights on my tank never gets above 77.5 with a low of 76 when the heater kicks on. I like the open top but may get a mesh top once I get some snails in there to clean up.

Here is a link to the 4.1g like mine.
Florida here, I don't even run heaters and my tanks run 79ish. My 2.5-3ish gallon right now takes about 16oz a day, I need to set up an ato but a lid will help a ton. Also the fronts curved and a pita to clean. Really like this tank, I need to make sure my current rock still fits because this tank is a little taller.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida here, I don't even run heaters and my tanks run 79ish. My 2.5-3ish gallon right now takes about 16oz a day, I need to set up an ato but a lid will help a ton. Also the fronts curved and a pita to clean. Really like this tank, I need to make sure my current rock still fits because this tank is a little taller.
The actual dimensions of the display area is 11.75"X5.5" (that is inside dimensions) so not a lot of room to play with. Originally was going with the Nuvo 10 Fusion but decided on the smaller tank and I love it. Just put some coral in this afternoon for the first time. Don't laugh at my crappy photography skills was a little scared to turn the whites up. I'm in Deep south Texas so 100-105 with 85% humidity I know the feeling. Waiting for summer to hit to see where I will really be as far as evaporation.
Birdsnest.jpeg

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actual dimensions of the display area is 11.75"X5.5" (that is inside dimensions) so not a lot of room to play with. Originally was going with the Nuvo 10 Fusion but decided on the smaller tank and I love it. Just put some coral in this afternoon for the first time. Don't laugh at my crappy photography skills was a little scared to turn the whites up.
Birdsnest.jpeg
Awesome! Getting the first coral in is so exciting!

This is the most recent photo of mine, I mostly was worried about the height, but I just measured and it looks like it'll be fine!

Just one piece of rock in there at an angle, can just straighten it out a little more and should be okay.

IMG_20210319_124943_807.jpg

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to take that drag off the plug but I was also scared of braking it. But hey I would have multiple frags then right lol.
Exactly! I hesitated with all mine, wish I had gone ahead and pulled them - my zoas brought in some bubble algae with them that I'm still fighting & one plug brought that patch of red turf algae. Ugh.

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I could pry the plug off the rock and then take the coral off the plug.
My plan is to get a bunch of rubble to keep in the sump of my big tank and whenever I get frags switch the plug for rubble going forward.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more necessary toy Inkbird ITC 308S. Need the cooling side in Deep South Texas summers. Now time to make sure the temp probe is reading correctly and get it installed. Have about a month before it starts to get really hot down here. Next purchase is an ATO.
DE2FFFB0-D761-4A94-AF8F-6137DFF350CD.jpeg
This was honestly probably your most important purchase on a Pico/Nano :D.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to take that drag off the plug but I was also scared of braking it. But hey I would have multiple frags then right lol.
I've grown at least 3-4 additional frags from braking off Digi's and Stags. Harder with Indo Acros and Mili but still possible :).

100% doable for a lot of LPS.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it I could change the settings to Celsius and be little more accurate but hey then I have to do the conversion.
You can still do it. They're super accurate, Once you set it and put it within a .5 degree swing it'll keep it consistent :) The inkbird is really good. So you can "set it and forget it"

Used to keep an extra thermometer for 3 months just to verify but it was always spot on.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've grown at least 3-4 additional frags from braking off Digi's and Stags. Harder with Indo Acros and Mili but still possible :).

100% doable for a lot of LPS.
I might going to give it some time (maybe a week or so) since it was just put in the tank yesterday. It only had a 20 minute ride home from LFS then some acclimation time.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would Double Check parameters this afternoon.
Salinity 35ppt
pH 8.1
Nitrates 5ppm but more like 2ppm-5ppm
Ca 430
Mg 1410
Alk 8.9-9.1
PO4 Waiting on Hanna check but at LFS it was .03-.05 with Salifert Will know for sure Wednesday afternoon

Those number look pretty darn good to me. Should I start feeding once a week just to boost the corals? Was thinking the Red Sea AB+ and mysis for the LPS once a week for each and double check parameters often.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seemed to have an algae bloom this past week. Had to go out of town for the week and came back to some GHA that came in on a frag. Going to pull that acan frag and clean it up with H2O2. Got three Astraea snails from the LFS to start cleaning this up but they seem a little lazy or just getting used to the new surroundings. Parameters where good though
Ph. 8.1
Alk 8.7
Salinity 35ppt
Ca 440
Mg 1410
Nitrate 2
Phosphate .021

Have 4 cerith snails coming Tuesday along with some Zoanthid frags to brighten up the colors in the tank. Making up water for a change Tuesday Afternoon with a big sandbed cleaning before I put in the new frags.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back