daveedp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She seems to be swimming fine and even chasing the male once in these videos. She’s breathing rather rapid and seems her gills are now swollen or burnt? She will try and eat food then shake to spit it back out, as if it isn’t going down easily or she can’t swallow it.

Ph: 8.3
Ammonia: 0
Salinity 1.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate : 22ppm
Maybe 116 gill beats per minute.

Just started happening 2 days ago now.

This fish has done some traveling not recently but I know they’re a very established pair. We drove with them in a 5 gallon jug for 3 days from California to Texas. That was last September. They have been in this tank again since September of last year. And before that for a year and a half. Prior to me having them they were a breeding pair for 2-3 years.

She did manage to eat some mysis yesterday but is usually the food motivated bully to her male counter part. When I’m not up against the tank she is in the back corner where they usually sleep.almost none of the markings on her are new as far as what may seem like injury near and around her gills.

Attachments

• IMG_6632.mov
    26.5 MB
  • IMG_6632.mov
    24.7 MB
  • IMG_6632.mov
    26.3 MB
  • IMG_6632.mov
    26.5 MB
  • IMG_6632.mov
    27.1 MB
  • IMG_6632.mov
    38.7 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She seems to be swimming fine and even chasing the male once in these videos. She’s breathing rather rapid and seems her gills are now swollen or burnt? She will try and eat food then shake to spit it back out, as if it isn’t going down easily or she can’t swallow it.

Salinity 1.25

This fish has done some traveling not recently but I know they’re a very established pair. We drove with them in a 5 gallon jug for 3 days from California to Texas. That was last September. They have been in this tank again since September of last year. And before that for a year and a half. Prior to me having them they were a breeding pair for 2-3 years.

She did manage to eat some mysis yesterday but is usually the food motivated bully to her male counter part. When I’m not up against the tank she is in the back corner where they usually sleep.almost none of the markings on her are new as far as what may seem like injury near and around her gills.
I can't see the videos. However - a couple other questions - any new fish or coral? Could it be a new situation? Is there anyway you can post to YouTube - and link it here?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salinity 1.25

I could view the videos on my desktop computer...open mouthed breathing.

Is the male completely free of any symptoms? That would tend to rule out flukes that would infect all fish.

Can you try cutting the food into smaller sixes to see if that helps?
What types of foods have you been feeding?

There are some issues that can affect just one fish at a time, especially older ones: Mycobacterium, goiter or tumors, but those would start up more gradually than just a couple of days.

Jay

OP
OP
D

daveedp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could view the videos on my desktop computer...open mouthed breathing.

Is the male completely free of any symptoms? That would tend to rule out flukes that would infect all fish.

Can you try cutting the food into smaller sixes to see if that helps?
What types of foods have you been feeding?

There are some issues that can affect just one fish at a time, especially older ones: Mycobacterium, goiter or tumors, but those would start up more gradually than just a couple of days.

Jay
Sorry realized I wasnt getting notifactions!

SO, Male had stringy white poop shortly after this upload.

She now has a sunken or pinched stomach. I've got my hospital tank up and running. I'm thinking of doing a freshwater dip for 2-3minutes (if she can handle that) then going into the hospital tank. ( exact same parameters) I have "Intesti pro" and Copper Power im thinking of treating them both with in the hospital tank.

They have been eating "NorthFin Marine" mostly.
Yesterday she did eat frozen mysis when I fed the 10 anemones!

Male is still fine and eating great. Her breathing seems to have slowed a bit however she has gone from hanging out in her sleeping corner to hiding in a little cove behind one of my rocks nearest the back wall. Not resting on the sand just relaxing in the cove.

OP
OP
D

daveedp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see the videos. However - a couple other questions - any new fish or coral? Could it be a new situation? Is there anyway you can post to YouTube - and link it here?
I will post a few videos to youtube then link them here! I responded to Jay here in this thread with a more detailed update!

OP
OP
D

daveedp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salinity 1.25

Wanda not feeling well pt :

No orange lense:

Orange lense:

Wanda behind the rock:

Corals added yesterday (day 2 of wanda not feeling well):

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What medication does "intesti pro" contain?

Jay

OP
OP
D

daveedp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With NaCl, it must be a FW med. Does it give amounts?

Jay
Whats an FW med? Link to meds Below

Now in hospital tank hasnt gotten worse but not better. Will dose every 3 days. After day 6 of no improvement it says to try something else.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats an FW med? Link to meds Below

Now in hospital tank hasnt gotten worse but not better. Will dose every 3 days. After day 6 of no improvement it says to try something else.
It contains sodium chloride. That is a FW (freshwater) medication, since seawater already contains lots of sodium chloride. I see the bottle says for marine or freshwater, but the sodium chloride is extraneous.

Depending on the dose, the prazi or metro might be helpful.

Jay

OP
OP
D

daveedp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It contains sodium chloride. That is a FW (freshwater) medication, since seawater already contains lots of sodium chloride. I see the bottle says for marine or freshwater, but the sodium chloride is extraneous.

Depending on the dose, the prazi or metro might be helpful.

Jay
How can the Sodium Chloride effect my fish?I will likely swap to Prazi if no change by day 4?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium chloride will have no effect on your fish, that's why it is a freshwater medication. The sea salt that your water is mixed from is about 70% sodium chloride.

This product has praziquantel in it, I just don't know the dose that they use.

Jay

OP
OP
D

daveedp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium chloride will have no effect on your fish, that's why it is a freshwater medication. The sea salt that your water is mixed from is about 70% sodium chloride.

This product has praziquantel in it, I just don't know the dose that they use.

Jay
this is how she is doing now. 15 days no real change. more interest in food but doesn't seem to swallow anything at all. Ill get a video of her taking it in then shaking to get it out of her mouth like she cant swallow it or is choking

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is how she is doing now. 15 days no real change. more interest in food but doesn't seem to swallow anything at all. Ill get a video of her taking it in then shaking to get it out of her mouth like she cant swallow it or is choking

The other clown is showing no symptoms?

There may be a mechanical issue with this fish specifically. You’ve tried dicing the good up into smaller pieces?

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back