4 fish dead and more to come ?

Shesame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i made a post 4 days ago about my 3 anthias dying and they are all dead. They were 1 week old in my tank and i didnt QT them cause my LFS told me they are already quarantine and because of the heat wave that we have here in montreal. In the forum some people told me it may be brooklyna. Now i woke up this morning and my golden head goby is dead. I had him for 2 month but was pretty skinny. Maybe its just a coincidance ( i dont think so).
The other fish look fine for now and they are all eating and swimming good.

So now I am asking you what can i do to prevent more to die ?
Could a 50% water change could help ?
Should I by a ready to start tank like a fluval evo and split the fish to maybe have more chance to survive ?
should I by any treatment (its hard cause its illegal now in Canada but i am sure I can find a way ) or vitamin?

Any other suggestion ?
Tank spec:

phosphate: 0.09
nitrate : 10 to 20
alk : 7.5
temperature : 80 f

Thanks in advance.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your water? After the other fish died did you get them out immediately, there could have been an ammonia spike that caused your goby to die. If it is a disease I would recommending setting up a QT, and starting a round of basic treatment.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it was brook or velvet you will need to treat the other fish asap in a QT tank with copper and metroplex that will take care of both velvet/ich plus brook and uronema you mentioned living in canada i remember reading its really hard to get certain fish meds up there so maybe someone who lives in canada can help you further

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anthias can be hard to feed. if your goby was thin, it could be a coincidence. Any spots on the dead fish/

OP
OP
S

Shesame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your water? After the other fish died did you get them out immediately, there could have been an ammonia spike that caused your goby to die. If it is a disease I would recommending setting up a QT, and starting a round of basic treatment.
I tested the phosphate at 0.1 and nitrate at 15 and salinity at 1.25 this morning. I am pretty sure i got them out quick.

OP
OP
S

Shesame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anthias can be hard to feed. if your goby was thin, it could be a coincidence. Any spots on the dead fish/
The problem is that they were eating the second day i got them. 20200622_164156.jpg 20200622_164149.jpg

Attachments

• 20200623_001225.mp4
    24 MB
OP
OP
S

Shesame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it was brook or velvet you will need to treat the other fish asap in a QT tank with copper and metroplex that will take care of both velvet/ich plus brook and uronema you mentioned living in canada i remember reading its really hard to get certain fish meds up there so maybe someone who lives in canada can help you further

Could i quarantine all the tank ore its better to setup a QT tank ? And if i cant find any treatment should i separate them in 2 different tank to maximise my chance

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also in Canada and dealing with similar issues. I’ve found that Copper Power is available on Amazon occasionally. I assume it goes up until a seller gets busted then it disappears for awhile. Any other fish meds aren’t available. You can take your chances with eBay, but I had a $300 order seized at the border and told no refunds for ordering blacklisted goods. Check out humblefish’s hydrogen peroxide thread. I’m experimenting with giving peroxide baths as an alternative to meds. I think a combination of copper or hyposalinity coupled with a couple peroxide baths may be the best we can do up here given the current regulatory climate.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hybrid-ttm-to-treat-all-parasites.640247/

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/hydrogen-peroxide.21/

ReeferWolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also in Canada. I found a reference to this post awhile ago now, on how to make copper solution for treatments etc.

I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet, but I was able to purchase some of the copper sulfate and received it successfully from here:

Should be enough for a couple of years of treatments for me.

Haven't figured out how to get replacements for the rest of the medications though.

Ryan Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxygenate. I would make sure there's enough surface agitation to really keep carbon dioxide low. You can even add an airstone temporarily in the sump or tank to eliminate this as a possibility (or even point powerheads to surface for agitation) Good luck!

OP
OP
S

Shesame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also in Canada. I found a reference to this post awhile ago now, on how to make copper solution for treatments etc.

I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet, but I was able to purchase some of the copper sulfate and received it successfully from here:

Should be enough for a couple of years of treatments for me.

Haven't figured out how to get replacements for the rest of the medications though.

Thanks for the link

OP
OP
S

Shesame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a white film on that Anthias. Chances aren’t it was brook. Sorry about your loss! Does your LFS mix water between their systems?

Yes they mix water. Next time i will let them treat the fish with copper before I by a fish.

OP
OP
S

Shesame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxygenate. I would make sure there's enough surface agitation to really keep carbon dioxide low. You can even add an airstone temporarily in the sump or tank to eliminate this as a possibility (or even point powerheads to surface for agitation) Good luck!

thanks for the tip but I heard that to much oxygen can be bad for coral ?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back