But it was too good to pass up

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at my LFS and he asked are you still thinking about a 8 ft tank ?
I said yes but man the cost have just gotten so high lately.
He says “ Well I have a customer that’s breaking down his tank . It is an acrylic 8x2x2 3/4” thick with stand , canopy, and sump”
This peaked my interest and I said “It’s got to be a good deal and I am game” It just happens that earlier in the week I was looking a that exact same tank but 1/2” acrylic so I knew what it cost new.
Later he went over to where the tank was and sent me pictures and asked “ How does $1200.00 sound ?”
Me “OK”

Attached are the pictures that he sent me.
Much more to come.

IMG_0476.jpeg
IMG_0477.jpeg
IMG_0479.jpeg
IMG_0488.jpeg
IMG_0480.jpeg

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next step was to round up a few friends and rent a Uhall trailer to get it moved over. Took 4 of use about a total of about 3 hours . And after took them out for lunch and drinks.
The next day I headed to the store and picked up 20 gallons of distilled white vinegar and started a 3 day soak. In the mean time I pulled out the sump and tried to modify to my liking. This sump is huge 60”x20”x20” I was not satisfied with the layout among other things so I decided to replace the sump and went with a Bashsea Pro 48 and it is being delivered on Friday.
Also while the soak was taking place started to look for other gear needed.
R2R marketplace is a great place to pick things up.
Lights Sky’s x4
Flow Neptune waves x4
Neptune DoS and also picked up the new DoS continuous
57 w AquaUv
Return pumps Staygrow 2800 gph x 2 I have had great luck with these been running on smaller systems for almost 2 years with no problems
Set of Maxspect 350 cloud additions
Reef factory Large flease roller
Avast Large Kalk stir had onhand
Aquamaxx DC Q 3 Skimmer have on hand was too big for my heavy stocked 150 gallon tank
Aquamaxx T3 calcium reactor.
Picture of aquarium after the soak.

IMG_2106.jpeg
IMG_2108.jpeg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The next step was to round up a few friends and rent a Uhall trailer to get it moved over. Took 4 of use about a total of about 3 hours . And after took them out for lunch and drinks.
The next day I headed to the store and picked up 20 gallons of distilled white vinegar and started a 3 day soak. In the mean time I pulled out the sump and tried to modify to my liking. This sump is huge 60”x20”x20” I was not satisfied with the layout among other things so I decided to replace the sump and went with a Bashsea Pro 48 and it is being delivered on Friday.
Lights Sky’s x4
Flow Neptune waves x4
57 w AquaUv
Return pumps Staygrow 2800 gph x 2 I have had great luck with these been running on smaller systems for almost 2 years with no problems
Aquamaxx DC Q 3 Skimmer have on hand was too big for my heavy stocked 150 gallon tank

IMG_2106.jpeg
IMG_2108.jpeg
Awesome job with the cleanup, tank is looking great! Can’t wait to see what you do with it!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Lights Sky’s x4
Flow Neptune waves x4
57 w AquaUv

IMG_2106.jpeg
IMG_2108.jpeg
Good for you - Congrats !!! Bigger is Better

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2123.jpeg
IMG_2110.jpeg
After draining the tank of the vinegar solution and drying out I could see quite a few scuff marks but no scratches. Back in the rear corners where the coralline was real thick and along the bottom at the sand line still had some light hazing and I could not get it buffed out.

I headed out to the auto parts store and picked up some 2500 grain wet/dry sandpaper and began to sand these areas. This worked like a dream with out a lot of elbow grease. But I realized that it would take a lot more to get this now scratched to a light haze out. I started to look through Amazon and found a battery powered 4” buffer. Also ordered a Novus kit and got to work. With the buffer and Novis in hand I got to work and after a couple hours the tank looks almost new.
I also grabbed a Durado mount that my Dad had caught 45 years ago that I had hanging up at my tackle store and mounted it above the tank. I think it looks good and it reminds me of him.

Attachments

• IMG_2111.jpeg
    IMG_2111.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I waited for the sump I kept looking at what rocks to use and I kept coming back to Tropic Eden Morroca Rock. I decided to get about 6 small and medium pieces of various shapes and shelves. I really just wanted to see it in person. The rock arrived and each piece was wrapped very well in bubble wrap. Not one broke piece. After unwrapping the rock one of the first things I noticed was how light it was compared to same size Marco rock or even some true Branch rock I have had laying around. The texture and looks of the rock is outstanding! I played around with it for a bit and came up with a small scape. Keep in mind this is only about 12 pounds of rock. I was so impressed that I went back to @premiumaquatics and ordered a 150 lb mix and match. This was at about 9 pm MST. I promptly got an email confirmation of the order and was asked what kind of pieces I preferred? I told them I would like a good mix of Med and large pieces with a good amount of shelves arches and caves. I said the tank is 8x2x2 and have fun picking out. A short while later they informed me the the order is picked wrapped packed and shipped. And that they enjoyed putting this together along with the tracking information. I was surprised to see that it is expected on Saturday between 2 and 6 pm. I can not wait to see what these 4 boxes are loaded with.

IMG_2115.jpeg
IMG_2116.jpeg
IMG_2113.jpeg
IMG_2112.jpeg
IMG_2114.jpeg
IMG_2121.jpeg
IMG_2120.jpeg
IMG_2119.jpeg
IMG_2115.jpeg
IMG_2116.jpeg
IMG_2113.jpeg
IMG_2112.jpeg
IMG_2114.jpeg
IMG_2121.jpeg
IMG_2120.jpeg
IMG_2119.jpeg

Provate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I waited for the sump I kept looking at what rocks to use and I kept coming back to Tropic Eden Morroca Rock. I decided to get about 6 small and medium pieces of various shapes and shelves. I really just wanted to see it in person. The rock arrived and each piece was wrapped very well in bubble wrap. Not one broke piece. After unwrapping the rock one of the first things I noticed was how light it was compared to same size Marco rock or even some true Branch rock I have had laying around. The texture and looks of the rock is outstanding! I played around with it for a bit and came up with a small scape. Keep in mind this is only about 12 pounds of rock. I was so impressed that I went back to @premiumaquatics and ordered a 150 lb mix and match. This was at about 9 pm MST. I promptly got an email confirmation of the order and was asked what kind of pieces I preferred? I told them I would like a good mix of Med and large pieces with a good amount of shelves arches and caves. I said the tank is 8x2x2 and have fun picking out. A short while later they informed me the the order is picked wrapped packed and shipped. And that they enjoyed putting this together along with the tracking information. I was surprised to see that it is expected on Saturday between 2 and 6 pm. I can not wait to see what these 4 boxes are loaded with.

IMG_2115.jpeg
IMG_2116.jpeg
IMG_2113.jpeg
IMG_2112.jpeg
IMG_2114.jpeg
IMG_2121.jpeg
IMG_2120.jpeg
IMG_2119.jpeg
IMG_2115.jpeg
IMG_2116.jpeg
IMG_2113.jpeg
IMG_2112.jpeg
IMG_2114.jpeg
IMG_2121.jpeg
IMG_2120.jpeg
IMG_2119.jpeg
Great tank

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night the new Bashsea 48 Pro sump was delivered only about 3 too 4 weeks early. They packed the sump very well and no damages what so ever. After about 30 min pealing off the wrapping on the sump it was ready to move into the stand.
The next thing is to plumb this in. I have 2 1” drains and I want both of them to go into the filter roller. The filter roller has a 1.5” inlet. I have a good idea how to accomplish this.

IMG_2126.jpeg
IMG_2127.jpeg
IMG_2128.jpeg

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 150lbs of Tropic Eden rock arrived. All was packed very well mahout out to @premiumaquatics for how they packed and shipped. With this rock you get a lot more per pound than almost any other. Turned out that I have too much. I could have gotten away with 100 lbs.
IMG_2129.jpeg

Came in 4 large boxes
IMG_2131.jpeg

Each piece bubble wrapped
IMG_2134.jpeg

After some time this is what we have for the scape will sit and watch for some time and maybe play with it some more. But O am likening the first go around.
IMG_2138.jpeg
IMG_2135.jpeg
IMG_2137.jpeg
IMG_2139.jpeg

The leftovers
IMG_2141.jpeg

Back