Aqurium Glass thickness

isaiahc41105

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 11, 2024
Messages
3
Reaction score
22
Location
49249
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building an aquarium and its going to have the back, left, right,and bottom made with acrylic glass reinforced with a osb and 2x4 walls but the front is going to be glass and idk how thick I used and onion calculator and it said for my 8ft long 2.5 ft tall and 6 ft deep I could use .7in glass but if I put a brace in the middle could I make it taller?
 
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246
 
Upvote 0
I'm building an aquarium and its going to have the back, left, right,and bottom made with acrylic glass reinforced with a osb and 2x4 walls but the front is going to be glass and idk how thick I used and onion calculator and it said for my 8ft long 2.5 ft tall and 6 ft deep I could use .7in glass but if I put a brace in the middle could I make it taller?
3/4" - 1" typical for this size tank
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm building an aquarium and its going to have the back, left, right,and bottom made with acrylic glass reinforced with a osb and 2x4 walls but the front is going to be glass and idk how thick I used and onion calculator and it said for my 8ft long 2.5 ft tall and 6 ft deep I could use .7in glass but if I put a brace in the middle could I make it taller?
Don’t know how true it is, but I have always heard that you can’t mix the 2. I had a 110 gallon that I wanted to repair but in my research I found it to not be possible. Had to be glass, at which point I trashed that one and just bought a new one.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
the only other Question would be is 3/4" annealed glass good to use, or do i need to use tempered?
Id want Annealed vs tempered myself...
Tempered means if it ever fsils it will fail everywhere all at once and basically explode. if its annealed and fails youll end up with a giant crack vs an exploded pane.
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Welcome.gif
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new