4 Prime or 2 Hydra and 2 Prime

thesoulpatch

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 7, 2017
Messages
621
Reaction score
333
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm thinking about getting a 125 gallon or larger in the next couple years, so I want to start preparing myself for the build and getting lights ready as I know they will be one of the most expensive things in the purchase.

I currently have 3 primes, so can I just put 4 on it and have no shadowing or should I get 2 hydra 26s (which isn't that basically 2 primes together?) and then add the primes to stop the shadowing? I can't decide....Also if I just had the primes would they be okay if the tank was any deeper than 24 inches as most 125 are this, but if I got a good deal on a larger tank would I HAVE to get the hydras?!

I know most people are going to say get the hydra and prime buuuuut, if I can get away with not spending so much then I'd be happy...

Any input would be helpful!
 
I am also curious about this. I have 3 hydra52s on my 125 6ft with no shadowing.
 
I see people using the Hydras in all their builds, but then find out that they are only running them at 30-50% power. When I built my WB 100.3 I bought 2 primes and am running them (basically) full power using BRS's recommended channel settings. Basically I thought why spend 2X the money but only run at 1/2 power? And I figured that if i really need more light, I could pick up one more and still have saved $150.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new