40.1 sump Q

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question on the design of the 40.1 sump.
Am I missing something or just don't see it, this is in regards to if the filter sock clogs and the sock compartment overflows. I see that the 4 outer panes are slightly higher so that the hypothetical scenario would allow the overflowing water to flood the other compartments but one of those compartment is the ATO topoff.
Is this a design oversight?

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question on the design of the 40.1 sump.
Am I missing something or just don't see it, this is in regards to if the filter sock clogs and the sock compartment overflows. I see that the 4 outer panes are slightly higher so that the hypothetical scenario would allow the overflowing water to flood the other compartments but one of those compartment is the ATO topoff.
Is this a design oversight?

It would take a lot for the sock compartment to clog. You would have to seriously neglect changing the filter sock for a long period of time to have that overflow. I doubt that is something that would ever happen and if you filter sock was that clogged and dirty to where the water could no longer pass through it than yes it would overflow into the other chambers.

Citycop89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the same scenario, my ATO would also be subject to water over flowing into it. I wouldn’t necessarily think this is a design flaw. I would much rather the saltwater overflow into the ATO than cause water to overflow out of the sump and onto my floors.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back