40 breeder beginner

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. My hammer and frog spawn never reacted much to the treatment. I always removed as much of the slime as possible before the treatment though. If there was a lot of it in the tank then the break down of it may cause irritation. Maybe? I don’t really know. One thing I learned though about after the treatment. If your skimmer has a drain line on the collection cup you can run the line into a bucket to remove a lot of treatment and left over material via over skimming into a bucket.

OP
OP
ReefHunter07

ReefHunter07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. My hammer and frog spawn never reacted much to the treatment. I always removed as much of the slime as possible before the treatment though. If there was a lot of it in the tank then the break down of it may cause irritation. Maybe? I don’t really know. One thing I learned though about after the treatment. If your skimmer has a drain line on the collection cup you can run the line into a bucket to remove a lot of treatment and left over material via over skimming into a bucket.
I ended up saving two of the hammers , 1 didn’t make it, but that was due to me turning the flow up to high and it cut itself on the bone :(

OP
OP
ReefHunter07

ReefHunter07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E98675C8-F4D4-438E-8734-687C9C2410DA.jpeg

Tank update. Everything is back to growing well. Growing some gsp to place on the back wall.

OP
OP
ReefHunter07

ReefHunter07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! It is so impressive how good phone camera quality is these days.
Man I know !! I have the 11 pro max and it doesn’t hold a candle to my wife’s new 13 pro max. I’ll hold out another few models. But very impressed ! Kind of awkward saying hey babe can I use your phone to take pics of the corals lol

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I know !! I have the 11 pro max and it doesn’t hold a candle to my wife’s new 13 pro max. I’ll hold out another few models. But very impressed ! Kind of awkward saying hey babe can I use your phone to take pics of the corals lol
Same boat here, I have the 11 poor person model, and my parents have the 13 pro max so I simply use their cameras sometimes.

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great job looks great are you sure your a beginner? I noticed you had an algae bloom at the beginning. I had a 30 gallon that I just couldn't get it resolved felt like I tried everything GFO carbon etc. I even got a UV serializer, but I sill get get these killer blooms (during the day cycle when I was at work) and my fish would die from affiliation. I gave up on that tank and eventually decided to try something else. I'm "someday" going to setup my 40 breeder. I'm sort of hoping more water volume would help as well as some automation of things where I can.

OP
OP
ReefHunter07

ReefHunter07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great job looks great are you sure your a beginner? I noticed you had an algae bloom at the beginning. I had a 30 gallon that I just couldn't get it resolved felt like I tried everything GFO carbon etc. I even got a UV serializer, but I sill get get these killer blooms (during the day cycle when I was at work) and my fish would die from affiliation. I gave up on that tank and eventually decided to try something else. I'm "someday" going to setup my 40 breeder. I'm sort of hoping more water volume would help as well as some automation of things where I can.
Thank you! I had to use a couple of different media pads to get me through my algae issue in the beginning. I used phosphate pads, nitrate reducing pads , and sometimes combined the carbon pad with other pads. I was trying any and everything. I then ditched the smaller green killing machine and put the one meant for 100 gallons in and that cleared it up pretty fast. I think I was adding to much to fast at the beginning instead of just letting all of the beneficial bacteria get situated first. As for more water volume I have this 40, and a 20 and both are crystal clear no algae right now. My poor 90 has been a pain. I’m about another 6 months from getting it totally dialed in probably. Think I may just be trying to run to many tanks with the time I have to tend to them.

OP
OP
ReefHunter07

ReefHunter07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I had to use a couple of different media pads to get me through my algae issue in the beginning. I used phosphate pads, nitrate reducing pads , and sometimes combined the carbon pad with other pads. I was trying any and everything. I then ditched the smaller green killing machine and put the one meant for 100 gallons in and that cleared it up pretty fast. I think I was adding to much to fast at the beginning instead of just letting all of the beneficial bacteria get situated first. As for more water volume I have this 40, and a 20 and both are crystal clear no algae right now. My poor 90 has been a pain. I’m about another 6 months from getting it totally dialed in probably. Think I may just be trying to run to many tanks with the time I have to tend to them.
Also check your lights if you are having the blooms during the day and make sure sunlight isn’t hitting it to much.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 50 72.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back