40 Breeder Plan

Nuisance_algae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'm about to get the chance to build a 40 breeder build which will be my second tank. I just wanted lay down my ideas and see what feedback/advice is out there. I have a standard 40b I'll drill with one, maybe two drains (Are two really that much more quiet?) and one return. I'm planning on 2 AI primes and 2 AI Nero 3s for the display and likely a 20g high sump with a fuge (going with high vs long to save room for kalk and ATO reservoirs in the stand). My planned live stock is as follows:
1x Gold stripe maroon clown w/ hopeful nem buddy
1x six line wrasse (might be willing to settle for a possum wrasse)
1x bangaii cardinal
1x YWG
3x green chormis (would be first to not make the cut)
1x clam (mostly squamosa)

Please let me know what you think and if you see any potential major issues. Thanks.

Last edited:

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Six lines can get nasty. It's disturbing when they eat the eyeballs out of other tankmates.

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a six-line wrasse in my 40-gallon and did very well. It ate almost all my pests, it is just a roll of the dice whether or not it had good or bad behavior. The only I got was very good and never chased any of my fish nor nipped at their fins.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had a six-line wrasse in my 40-gallon and did very well. It ate almost all my pests, it is just a roll of the dice whether or not it had good or bad behavior. The only I got was very good and never chased any of my fish nor nipped at their fins.
I think the trick is to add them last after all the other livestock has been added to the aquarium and to get them as small as possible...that way they grow up with the rest of the inhabitants and have a type of respect for them. Anything that gets added to the tank after that is a possible food source as you are adding your new livestock in the same place where you add food.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently drilled my 40 breeder, but I drilled only one drain. The eschopps overflow has 2 drains in the overflow box, so only needed to drill one hole. (unless you are doing something different - I'm just now learning about sumps and plumbing)

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sixline will be fine. I’ve had like 8 of them over the years, never seen anything remotely aggressive. That maroon clown on the other hand will kill everything. THOSE are mean. Those chromis won’t stand a chance

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you going to install a wier or overflow box? Or just bulk heads and strainers?

Either way the "real" reason (in my opinion) to have 2 drains is a safety, if one gets clogged your tank doesn't overflow and your sump doesn't run dry. That said if you want your drain to be silent, 2 drains are needed anyway (basically maybe there are other ways, but still)

I use the bulk head and strainer method, but this means your tank wont be filled to the rim, you will see the water line.

OP
OP
Nuisance_algae

Nuisance_algae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to install a wier or overflow box? Or just bulk heads and strainers?

Either way the "real" reason (in my opinion) to have 2 drains is a safety, if one gets clogged your tank doesn't overflow and your sump doesn't run dry. That said if you want your drain to be silent, 2 drains are needed anyway (basically maybe there are other ways, but still)

I use the bulk head and strainer method, but this means your tank wont be filled to the rim, you will see the water line.
I was thinking an over flow box inside the tank. Is it noticeable loud with just one drain?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking an over flow box inside the tank. Is it noticeable loud with just one drain?
Can be depending on how it's set up. Keep in mind am not using overflow boxes so the situation is a bit different, but my old sump set up sounded like a running toilet sometimes haha

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on this size tank too, why 2 primes and not 1 hydra32? ( may be a stupid question)

have you looked at kessils? i have Fuge light im using over a freshwater tank and i love the look it creates. shadows, glimmer its amazing.

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Possum wrasse. Mine is very active and comes right up to me when I am close to the tank.

That may change as more inhabitants are added though.

I’ve only had him 38 days.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back