40 breeder upgrade to ???

bubblybubbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I want to upgrade my 40 to something with more room and had an overflow for a sump/refugium. I really don't want to drill a tank myself, especially since I don't have the capability to do so, being in an apartment. I'm wary to get anything big since I'm on the second floor. I can likely do 55-60 max. Issue I'm having though, is any predrilled tanks I find have terrible dimensions. I don't want a short, 12" tall tank and I don't really want a crazy tall one like the 55. No local shops will agree to drill for me. I know they're are hobs, but I've heard horror stories due to suction or lack thereof. So, I'm stuck in a rut.

I could use some advice or recommendations, please.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
your best bet is to look at your local groups or any local classfields/marketplace to source an already drilled tanks. if buying new is no issue for you, seapora, waterbox, red sea, IM, and cade have great pre-dilled tanks that can be shipped to you but do your research to weigh out your options as recently many have had issues with red sea tanks, and maybe waterbox (I THINK).

there are some companies who make custom dimension tanks who could even drill it for you, i believe. but i do not remember their names, sorry!

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled my first tank just recently. Actually much easier than I thought. You could do it in your bathroom with a couple towels and a drill from harbor freight.

do a 60 breeder would be perfect upgrade for what your saying.

OP
OP
bubblybubbles

bubblybubbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your best bet is to look at your local groups or any local classfields/marketplace to source an already drilled tanks. if buying new is no issue for you, seapora, waterbox, red sea, IM, and cade have great pre-dilled tanks that can be shipped to you but do your research to weigh out your options as recently many have had issues with red sea tanks, and maybe waterbox (I THINK).

there are some companies who make custom dimension tanks who could even drill it for you, i believe. but i do not remember their names, sorry!
Thanks for the reply!

The customs seem to be heavily priced and are way out of my budget atm, but I will check for used ones to see if I can find any predrilled.

OP
OP
bubblybubbles

bubblybubbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled my first tank just recently. Actually much easier than I thought. You could do it in your bathroom with a couple towels and a drill from harbor freight.

do a 60 breeder would be perfect upgrade for what your saying.
Thanks for replying!

I did not know there was a 60 breeder lol. I'll look into that as well.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your case, I agree that I like the 60 breeder. A 75 is the same footprint but 4" taller at 21"H, and that is a great medium sized tank. I would just get an Aqueon one for cheap and drill it myself. If you absolutely don't want to drill it or have it drilled, a "Reef Ready" 75 would be a good option.

SCA makes a drilled 75 gallon with an internal overflow with the dimensions 36"x24"x20"H.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at putting this into my 40b.

They should have bigger drop ins if youre looking to go bigger.

Back