OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the aquascape. Its the exact same in my tank now.
1363916268301.jpg

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the rock structure. Reminds me of when I was building the rock structure on cardboard as well.

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not doing acros, maybe 1 or 2. Mostly zoas and acans. Some chalice and favias. With all the zoas I have. The rock will be full from day 1 of the switch out. Lol

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to check your phosphates and see how bad the rocks you got are. Some are not so bad, but some can be awful. I have been reading multiple threads about dry rock leaching phosphates and folks fighting GHA for 6 months because of it. There is a way to draw it out in a very short time.

Read this:
Pukani Rock leacing PO4 like mad - Reef Central Online Community

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just be the rocks I got from BRS day two of them cooking with GFO running around GFO my phosphates came in at .04 per Hanna checker. But when I started my tank with Marco rocks I had a good bit of hair algae, I am overall happy with the Marco and the BRS.

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading that, i have a few questions. If a tank is already established, can you drip that product into a sock filter and lower phosphates? Would it affect the coral?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It will affect the corals. What you could do is pull the rock now and put it in a brute can and do this process, and then cycle the tank.

Have you tested for phosphates yet?

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havn't. I was planning on starting the process today. I already have the sand and rock placed in the tank just waiting to add the saltwater. I was going to do that today. My only fear of removing the rock now is I really really like my rocks cape and I don't want to change it. However, I think I'd rather do that than deal with HA for 6 months. So what do you recommend me do?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would see if you can find the seaklear product at a local pool supply or phosfree and use RODI in a brute trash can and get it done before you start cycling. I am going to do this with the pukani rock for my next tank. But like I said, you might not have to. You might have gotten a good batch of rock.

For now I would pull the rock, rinse any dead matter/debris and dust etc off then put it in a brute can fill it with saltwater put a heater and a pump in it and let it sit for 2 days. Test for phosphates and go from there.

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, pulled the rock and put in brute can with saltwater on Saturday. Checked phosphates last night and they were at .12, so I'm gonna say I'm good to go. I moved the rock back over to the display and got my saltwater mixing to start the cycle tonight. I ended up purchasing another three peppermints to help with the aptasia issue and all that is left now are large aptasia. I'm gonna hit them with aptasia x tonight and then the peppermints should be able to keep it clean from there.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back