You might want to check your phosphates and see how bad the rocks you got are. Some are not so bad, but some can be awful. I have been reading multiple threads about dry rock leaching phosphates and folks fighting GHA for 6 months because of it. There is a way to draw it out in a very short time.
It may just be the rocks I got from BRS day two of them cooking with GFO running around GFO my phosphates came in at .04 per Hanna checker. But when I started my tank with Marco rocks I had a good bit of hair algae, I am overall happy with the Marco and the BRS.
I havn't. I was planning on starting the process today. I already have the sand and rock placed in the tank just waiting to add the saltwater. I was going to do that today. My only fear of removing the rock now is I really really like my rocks cape and I don't want to change it. However, I think I'd rather do that than deal with HA for 6 months. So what do you recommend me do?
I would see if you can find the seaklear product at a local pool supply or phosfree and use RODI in a brute trash can and get it done before you start cycling. I am going to do this with the pukani rock for my next tank. But like I said, you might not have to. You might have gotten a good batch of rock.
For now I would pull the rock, rinse any dead matter/debris and dust etc off then put it in a brute can fill it with saltwater put a heater and a pump in it and let it sit for 2 days. Test for phosphates and go from there.
So, pulled the rock and put in brute can with saltwater on Saturday. Checked phosphates last night and they were at .12, so I'm gonna say I'm good to go. I moved the rock back over to the display and got my saltwater mixing to start the cycle tonight. I ended up purchasing another three peppermints to help with the aptasia issue and all that is left now are large aptasia. I'm gonna hit them with aptasia x tonight and then the peppermints should be able to keep it clean from there.