40 Gallon Breeder Project

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've finally decided what my next project is going to be. I have been wanting to set up a larger display tank and do some things differently that I did not know/understand the first go around on my 20 Gallon. I want to keep the 20 gallon running because it has turned into a beautiful tank and it is a fairly maintanence free tank. My frag tank is a stand alone system and the levels are kept very steady with hand dosing daily and bi-weekly water changes. The issue I have been having is aptasias. I have tried all sorts of stuff to get rid of them. I would say in this 36''x18''x8'' tank, if I were to say there were 100 in there, i would be way under shooting it. They are growing on the egg crate and glass. There are about 15 actually growing on frag plugs. A friend bought me a peppermint yesterday for my birthday and he has already started going at them. Obviously, that won't be enough for the infestation I have. So, my build will accomplish two things for me, it will provide me with a larger display tank and get rid of the aptasia eyesore. The 40 breeder is the exact same length and width dimensions as my frag tank, so it will fit beautifully on the stand. The sump under the frag tank is a 29G with about 30 lbs of live rock and 30lbs of sand for a refugium. The sump on the system is already rated for more than enough to add the 40 and the heaters in the sump are enough. The MP10 PH is plenty for the 40 and the lights are Metal Hallide/LED combo that are hung so that I can adjust them to whatever hight I want. The return pump I believe is enough, but if not it's a simple fix. I have ordered 50 lbs of marco rock that will be here friday and an eshopps overflow box because the frag tank overflow is built into the tank. Im going to put the 35 lbs of caribean dry and i have already at the house and the rock in the 40, fill it with saltwater, put a heater in it, put a couple of powerheads in it, and let it cycle. When the cycle is complete, I'm going to drain most of the water out into a bucket, Drain half the water from the frag tank, swap out tanks, plumb in overflow, put cycled water back in tank and let it flow. The sump that is already on the frag tank is of course already ready to go, so the only thing I need to do is cycle my rock and sand which will be done prior to the tank swap. I'll move all the corals over, do a 20% water change with fresh saltwater and viola, I've sat me up a larger tank and got rid of all those ugly aptasias. Now, after saying all of that.....Will it work? lol

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've finally decided what my next project is going to be. I have been wanting to set up a larger display tank and do some things differently that I did not know/understand the first go around on my 20 Gallon. I want to keep the 20 gallon running because it has turned into a beautiful tank and it is a fairly maintanence free tank. My frag tank is a stand alone system and the levels are kept very steady with hand dosing daily and bi-weekly water changes. The issue I have been having is aptasias. I have tried all sorts of stuff to get rid of them. I would say in this 36''x18''x8'' tank, if I were to say there were 100 in there, i would be way under shooting it. They are growing on the egg crate and glass. There are about 15 actually growing on frag plugs. A friend bought me a peppermint yesterday for my birthday and he has already started going at them. Obviously, that won't be enough for the infestation I have. So, my build will accomplish two things for me, it will provide me with a larger display tank and get rid of the aptasia eyesore. The 40 breeder is the exact same length and width dimensions as my frag tank, so it will fit beautifully on the stand. The sump under the frag tank is a 29G with about 30 lbs of live rock and 30lbs of sand for a refugium. The sump on the system is already rated for more than enough to add the 40 and the heaters in the sump are enough. The MP10 PH is plenty for the 40 and the lights are Metal Hallide/LED combo that are hung so that I can adjust them to whatever hight I want. The return pump I believe is enough, but if not it's a simple fix. I have ordered 50 lbs of marco rock that will be here friday and an eshopps overflow box because the frag tank overflow is built into the tank. Im going to put the 35 lbs of caribean dry and i have already at the house and the rock in the 40, fill it with saltwater, put a heater in it, put a couple of powerheads in it, and let it cycle. When the cycle is complete, I'm going to drain most of the water out into a bucket, Drain half the water from the frag tank, swap out tanks, plumb in overflow, put cycled water back in tank and let it flow. The sump that is already on the frag tank is of course already ready to go, so the only thing I need to do is cycle my rock and sand which will be done prior to the tank swap. I'll move all the corals over, do a 20% water change with fresh saltwater and viola, I've sat me up a larger tank and got rid of all those ugly aptasias. Now, after saying all of that.....Will it work? lol

Nope, lol just kidding!! Sounds like you got everything planned out, except you should have named this dwilliam's 180 build Ha ha ha but seriously cant wait to see the new tank stacked full of corals

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told you to just change out the eggcrate and you could pull the frag plugs out of the water and scrape the aiptasia off....so simple....but somebody doesnt want to listen to me.:tsk:

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had about 8 aptasia on my tank all I did was get 9 peppermint and never fed them until aptasia was gone. I didnt have sny fish in the tank. Now im still aptasia free and I belive I still got the peppermints cause I see them sometimes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

calvo15290

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1363834440.507135.jpg
it works great for me and I haven't used much if u wanna use it

Andrew calvo

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dowtish - this is an excuse for the wife to let me spend more money on tank stuff, I actually did what you said about a month ago. They have came back. Its really hard to completely get rid of that many.

Calvo- I hate that stuff, I think it is a fertilizer for them.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few aiptasia but mine dont seem to spread fast. I bought some peppermints long ago buy nvr see any of them anymore. If i do its just 1 and i havent seen it in a while. When i had them tho they definately ate most of them. But i fear my wrasses may have got ahold of them duno tho.

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought multiple peppermints that did nothing and disappeared but this one is gettin it. I'm gonna stop and get three more today that are the same batch to help eradicate the issue. Also, my rock came in today so its time to start the cycle. I have decided to look into this bonsai aquascaping because they are beautiful. Does anyone have a good thread on how to do it. I know the general idea with dial rods, zip ties, epoxy, and rubble. I just want to do a little more reading before I go at it tonight.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking forward to this!

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks dowtish, heading to Lowes as soon as get off. I'm really excited about this build. I think I'm gonna do a build thread on the DIY aquascape as well. I want this rank to be as perfect as I can make it, at least change some things that I wish I would have done a lot different on my 20g.

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After getting the rock in I was so happy with what I got that I didn't go the way I was thinking and just stacked the rock in a way than I am very happy with! So, I have the sand and rock in the tank and water mixing to start the cycle! Can't wait to through it on the stand!

Back