40 Ounce Micro Reef Build

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I couldn't resist attempting this 40 oz (Yes 40 OUNCE) micro reef! It was love at first sight when I saw it on a video from a coral show. So I hopped online and it arrived this weekend! I put some crushed coral and live rock from my nano tank and off it goes! I'll be taking this one to work soon but I want to get things a few things started in it before I do that. I'm in love! It's from PNW Custom and it comes with a 12 oz sump with baffles and a 28 oz main tank, LED light (adjustable height), 50 gph pump, dual return lines, heater, lids for the sump and the main tank too.

IMG_20220425_215026211_HDR.jpg

Here he is beside his big brother (10 gallon nano!) IMG_20220425_210452190_HDR.jpg

simprss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With proper research and the willingness too feed them twice a day you could do something like 1-3 Blue Porcelain crab (Petrolisthes galathinus), 1-3 Green Porcelain Crab (Petrolisthes armatus) I'm keeping a mix of about 5 of them in a 4g AIO with a blenny + crabs/snails. They rush out to fan for food, seems like any of the small multi feeding crabs/shrimp would be a good choice. Bumblebee shrimp come to mind, small feeding 2-3 times a day and they are happier. Add in an asterina starfish for the bumblebee and it might work out. Also, you can get some very nice clams under 1" that would live in there for a long while if you were not trying to "grow it up". Big difference in a tank to keep everything healthy and happy and one that just wants to make everything grow faster.

Or...you could turn to the dark side...and create the perfect tank for a single bumble bee snail (Engina mendicaria)! Fill that tank with tiny vermetid snails and polychaete worms!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back