$400 for a Blue Tang?

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I went to a coral shop that I’ve never been too today, and was immediately surprised how expensive everything was. Which is fine, it’s not my business. But I couldn’t believe when I saw a blue tang for sale… selling at $400. Like what? How… I’ve never seen a blue hippo selling for this much. And it was only a medium one probably 3-4 inches. I actually talked to the guy there and he said they paid that much for it so they have to turn it over for profit. Of course this makes sense, but $400?! Is this the market price for blue tangs right now? Do you think $400 is to much??

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Overly extreme. Unless it is a yellow belly blue tang. Those are much more pricey than the normal blues. Honestly, with how much shipping is right now. I don't know the price on fish currently.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty that is a little pricey on its face but is it prequarantined? If so I’d say that’s not so far fetched for one that size. Not a good comparison but my petco sells 1-2” ones for $130 and my “pricey” LFS sells pre quarantined sailfins and powder blues for $300-$400 each soo yea

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I went to a coral shop that I’ve never been too today, and was immediately surprised how expensive everything was. Which is fine, it’s not my business. But I couldn’t believe when I saw a blue tang for sale… selling at $400. Like what? How… I’ve never seen a blue hippo selling for this much. And it was only a medium one probably 3-4 inches. I actually talked to the guy there and he said they paid that much for it so they have to turn it over for profit. Of course this makes sense, but $400?! Is this the market price for blue tangs right now? Do you think $400 is to much??
They’re usually about a quarter of the price. I’ve never seen them go even close to 400. Maybe in the past when they were newer into the hobby then they may have been close but recently they haven’t been.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty that is a little pricey on its face but is it prequarantined? If so I’d say that’s not so far fetched for one that size. Not a good comparison but my petco sells 1-2” ones for $130 and my “pricey” LFS sells pre quarantined sailfins and powder blues for $300-$400 each soo yea
I have no clue if it’s pre qt. I think I remember them saying there’s no guarantee of anything being free of parasites. So…
But even still, $200-$300 more just because the fish is pre qt?! Bizarre.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re usually about a quarter of the price. I’ve never seen them go even close to 400. Maybe in the past when they were newer into the hobby then they may have been close but recently they haven’t been.
Exactly.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue if it’s pre qt. I think I remember them saying there’s no guarantee of anything being free of parasites. So…
But even still, $200-$300 more just because the fish is pre qt?! Bizarre.
Even a QTd blue (Well regular blues Atleast) they’d be much cheaper. Abberant is slightly different though, do you know if it was aberrant or not?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back