40B Spontaneously Sprung a Leak -- Need Advice!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things to consider... Larger tank will require new lights. If you go for more volume by going taller, your lights will probably not be strong enough to penetrate to the substrate. Also, the taller the tank, the harder it is to reach to the bottom for cleaning and arrangement of rocks and stuff... A good height for a tank is 18-24". Most lights will reach that far and so will your arms.. lol

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check that it isnt bowing down in the middle though, creating an area of less support.
This is the steel stand, and it has a lot of cross-support. I think the silicone had to have failed or something. :/

1632609076050.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is the steel stand, and it has a lot of cross-support. I think the silicone had to have failed or something. :/

1632609076050.png
Despite steel stand, if tank was not level(ed), this would cause a shift and a leak. You may be able to reseal which is simple ( ive sealed at least 75 tanks for customers when I had my pet store). I can guide you through that is warranty is going to be a hassle. That 40b If you go to larger tank would make an idseal sump.
Despite stee

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic, if buying new, will not fit your budget.

Petsmart has a 75 gallon tank WITH stand for $400!!

For sure -- I just fell into a BRS-k-hole looking at acrylic tanks w/stand. I saw that 75-gallon earlier and still have the tab open. Haha.

Have you checked Craigslist?
Ideally, I'll replace the tank without having to put on pants.

Some things to consider... Larger tank will require new lights. If you go for more volume by going taller, your lights will probably not be strong enough to penetrate to the substrate. Also, the taller the tank, the harder it is to reach to the bottom for cleaning and arrangement of rocks and stuff... A good height for a tank is 18-24". Most lights will reach that far and so will your arms.. lol
Thank you for those things to consider! I've definitely been thinking of all of the equipment I purchased and how it will or will not be compatible with a larger tank.

How'd you know I'm short?! I have to stand on a stool to do my water changes! haha

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure -- I just fell into a BRS-k-hole looking at acrylic tanks w/stand. I saw that 75-gallon earlier and still have the tab open. Haha.

Ideally, I'll replace the tank without having to put on pants.

Thank you for those things to consider! I've definitely been thinking of all of the equipment I purchased and how it will or will not be compatible with a larger tank.

How'd you know I'm short?! I have to stand on a stool to do my water changes! haha

LOL... Personal experience.. My 180 is 28" tall inside... It was quite a challenge to get the first layer of rocks placed inside the tank.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite steel stand, if tank was not level(ed), this would cause a shift and a leak. You may be able to reseal which is simple ( ive sealed at least 75 tanks for customers when I had my pet store). I can guide you through that is warranty is going to be a hassle. That 40b If you go to larger tank would make an idseal sump.
My stand is level (as was the tank) and fit the tank rim-to-rim. :/

I don't think the warranty is worth messing with. I'm sure it was designed that way intentionally.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are local fish stores an option? You might find something nice to fit the budget there.
The closest LFS to me is open really weird days and hours. They might just be laundering money there at this point. And again, I'm not wanting to have to put on clothes or leave the house. I'm a bit of a hermit.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closest LFS to me is open really weird days and hours. They might just be laundering money there at this point. And again, I'm not wanting to have to put on clothes or leave the house. I'm a bit of a hermit.
I here you, Maybe they can drop one off hah if your lucky. Just a heads up, your sand may need a good rinsing and cycle, if left stagnant for a few days.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JFC, this is the perfect way to ensure no one actually uses their 5-year warranty. There's no way in hell I'm shipping a 40-gallon tank to Wisconsin.

Is it worth it for someone who is relatively handy to replace the silicone and do a 24-hour water check? I'm not the tidiest caulker, but I can get the job done. Or should I just buy a new d*** tank?

1632601507647.png
I would be more worried why it leaked than fixing. If the tank was out of square fixing the silicone may/may not be perfect. If it could just happen again randomly that is.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kittenbritches

I stopped in at my Petsmart today and took a look at the 75 and 125 tanks...

These tanks both appear to be designed with freshwater use in mind. They are NOT pre-drilled for a sump and overflow boxes. You would need to drill it yourself and glue in your own overflows if you can find them.

The stands also are not designed to house a sump. The center vertical dividers appear to be load bearing so I would not advise removing them. The openings are not large enough to house a sump big enough to run a tank that size.

Here is the 75g

20210926_100305.jpg
20210926_100316.jpg
20210926_100355.jpg

Here is the 125g

20210926_100433.jpg
20210926_100438.jpg
20210926_100502.jpg

Either of these tanks CAN be used for a reef, however you will either need to use canister filters and other HoB equipment (Hey it works on my 55g) Or, invest in a new stand designed for a sump and then DIY your overflows and drains. Oh and the tanks and stands are ONLY sold as a set so....?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back