40B Stand Questions/Recommendations

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so typically I build stands with a 2x4 sub-frame, however I do not like the space the 2x4's take up inside the stand. I know folks have build stands from 1x4 or 1x6 etc. Usually I see these stands made from higher priced lumber such as Oak but I was wondering if the same thing can be done from Pine and be sufficient to support a 40 Breeder? I know it doesn't weigh as much as a 100g or 200g tank so I was considering going this route.

The other thought I had was to go ahead and use the 2x4 method but rip them down some or do something to that effect but I am not sure.

cymonous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it comes down to engineering skills. The biggest reason for the plans with 2x4s and/or 2x6s is for people with engineering skills that are sub-par. Can you build a stand for a 40B with 1x4 or 1x6, yes. But, it must be done properly. I would heavily research online for stands built with that size material. Heck, people have built stands with plywood. The edges have to be directly under the frame of the tank though for proper support.

Wolverine47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many mass produced stands use 1 inch lumber. It just makes the build process/design much more important. 2 inch lumber gives you more leeway because it can often hold 5 times or more the actual weight of the tank whereas a stand using 1 inch lumber will not. Also have to be much more careful with dimensions because the contact space for the tank is half as wide.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back