40G Breeder Frag Tank

Discussion in 'Middle Tennessee Reef Club' started by Bryn, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Daltrey

Daltrey Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

As of today

Calcium 430
    Mag 1480
    Alk 9.7
    PO4 .04
    Salinity 37 (need to drop to 35)
    Ammonia 0
    Temp 78

Corals are starting to take off.

2. Bryn

Bryn Active Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember

Looking good. I guess your parameters are very stable.

3. Daltrey

Daltrey Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Well I've gotten a little carried away and did two 50 percent water changes in two weeks, ha. Going to do smaller water changes from here on.

4. JOKER

JOKER Valuable Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

Looking good so far

5. Bryn

Have two hydras (lights) on a frame ready to go on, and egg crate is in, and corals arrive tonight and tomorrow.

I will say to anyone new and reading this, spend the money and get an ATO (auto top off).

Pics to follow.

6. Bryn

Here are a few. Taken under 14K light with a cell phone camera.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Bryn

Some more.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Poacher

Poacher Member

Arn't shrooms bad to have being that, when bigger, they will smother out other corals if to close to each other?

paul01 likes this.
  9. Bryn

Hey Poacher, sorry for the late reply, been out of country and then a bunch of work when I get back.

Yes smothering can happen, but this is a frag tank so can move them around. The pics you have quoted are Zoa's.

10. Poacher

Poacher Member

Thank you. Im trying to start a nee tank and learning as I go

11. Bryn

Some new additions: Hi I'm Bryn and I have a Bowerbanki problem...:D

FireSparklesBower-RetailPrice50SALEPRICE25_zpsvow97ctf.jpg LipstickBower-RetailPrice50SALEPRICE30_zpsbud2nygg.jpg PinkPantherRimBower-RetailPrice50SALEPRICE25_zpsvaxgxv3l.jpg SilverBulletBower-RetailPrice50SALEPRICE15_zpsitzklm0z.jpg

And they look almost as good under my lights, which by the way I'm thinking of adding some t5's to the AI Hydras.

12. Bryn

A few more of my addiction, but not as dependent upon, Acanthastrea Echinita/Echinata

172 WYSIWYG Jacko Eye Echinita #2 Live Coral.jpg 195 WYSIWYG Ghost Echinata Live Coral.jpg

13. Bryn

Another update,not the best picture but something to throw up on the web. Two FTS's
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. Bryn

A few more, the Blasto (thank heavens for edits called this a Bowerbanki) which is almost 2inches across, two heads with another 8 underneath, and some pests.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  15. MikeyTN

MikeyTN Active Member MTRCMember

It's looking good! I' about to start my tank soon. Got my skimmer and return pump ordered. Fixing to order my new tank this coming week.

Bryn likes this.
  16. Bryn

Way to go....

17. Bryn

Quick up date, as I use this as a diary as well.

Everything seems stable, with dKH 10.5, outside air line to Skimmer now keeping pH at 8.2 from 8.0 (Bio cube with no skimmer is 7.9), Ca 440, Mg 1360, Salinity 1.025, Temp 77, phosphate is about .11ppm

Dosing 5ml of two part per day. This will change as I have some SPS on the way.

Started dosing NO3 at .8ppm per day. Noticed a difference in color and response, but maybe placebo, who knows. Flow is estimated to be strong, Hammers are getting a good shaking every 15-20 seconds, but not to the point of them shrinking, in fact they seem to be extending.

Anecdotal findings would be good flow, reasonable light, and stable parameters lead to a consistent response from the corals, meaning they look the same everyday.

Blastos seem to expand with flow, and I mean expand, I have some in low flow and they remain small whiles those in higher flow just expand.

Biggest response to the limited NO3 dosing has been the Mushrooms, they have expanded and colored up a little. Trying to maintain NO3 about 1.0ppm, but find that within 24hrs it has reduced to less than 0.25ppm. Using the RedSea Nitrate pro kit, be happy with ease of use, along with Hanna dKH, and Hanna Phosphate checker.

No critters other than CUC, looking to add a FlameFin Tang, and 6 line Wrasse, but have enjoyed watching my isopod populations grow and decline, same with the Flat worm populations. One day I have hundreds of Flat worms everywhere, and the next day almost gone. Very little Algae, so Tang can wait.

Started dosing Oyster-Feast, and Phyto-Feast, along with RedSea ReefEnergy, in addition to ReefRoids, Chilli, Spiralina, and mysis shrimp when I remember.

Cheato needs to be pruned, thought about continuing to grow it out in a 5G bucket, and sell, although it would be non sterile.

Contemplating splitting this 40G breeder into multiple tanks with one sump. Soft/LPS, Blasto/Acan, hammers/Ducans, SPS.

Have a few Acan Echinata, very well behaved so far, but my one favia is still a muppet, with long sweepers. Have a few corals I need identified.

Final thought, most corals will do fine if they are left alone. Think about how you would feel if people walked through you home anytime of the day, switched on and off lights, changed the temp or the odor in the house, you would either be upset and irritated, or would up and move.

Draft saved Draft deleted