420 gallon build pump advice needed!

blurry

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
388
Reaction score
67
Location
Jordan NY (in-between Rochester and Syracuse)
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been helping a friend get his existing system cleaned up. The original system is a gorgeous acrylic 240 gallon bow front and a 125 in the basement with a stock container sump. The new plan is to keep the killer 240 on the 1st floor as is, but change the basement tank to a 180 and move the 125 down as a sump.

Part of this system is to add redundancy - as such the electric is run off two lines and we are looking to "split" the return pumps and heaters. the thought is to run two return pumps - one goes to the left side of both tanks, the other to the right. This way if one goes down or needs to be cleaned the system stays operational.

The "big" question is picking return pumps. We were thinking of aiming for 2.5x per pump to each tank for a total of 5x. this stays within the overflow box capacities. naturally there will be some powerheads in the tank.

The 125 sump (original display) is nice and roomy so we thought of trying to reduce sound by using 4" PVC pipes into which the drains would run. The water pushed up will flow onto a tray and through the filter socks. the hope is that this will reduce noise and make the filter sock changes a bit easier without the pipe (and hopefully less ripped socks!)

Any suggestions on which pumps to go with? general suggestions?

Currently looking at the blueline 70HD and the Reeflo Barracuda (hybrid upgradable to hammerhead)

thanks!

pumps.jpg


sumpdetails.jpg
 
You don't metion head pressure here??? How high is the display from the sump??? I would look into the hammerheads for returns and use 2" full siphon drains they can handle the flow easy... Nice quiet and around 4000+ gph gravity fed..
 
I should have made the measurements easier to see, they are on the right hand side of the upper picture

The upper tank is at 15'3" - the calculator I ran is estimating 17 ft of head pressure
the lower tank is at 5' - the calculator is estimating just shy of 9 ft of head pressure.

these are per run.

I'm partial to the reeflo pumps, just because mine has been good to me - good to stay open minded and get some feed back though :)
 
I like the detail drawings. I'm using a single Reeflo Hammerhead for my return via a 2" bulkhead. I also have four 1 1/2" drains in my 450 display, although one drain will feed my H&S A250 skimmer directly. I think 2 Barracudas or Snappers will work for the tank.
 
The snapper wouldn't give you the head pressure you would need.

If you wanted to run 2 pumps I would look into the reeflo tarpon. Each pump should give you about 750gph at the head you have. 1500 gph should be enough turnover of your sump (more than 10x sump turnover an hour). If you change your mind and decide to use one pump I would look the reeflo marlin.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 17.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 17.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new