OP
OP
StephenGlidden

StephenGlidden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a beautiful big torch colony today as well as one of my all time favorites, utter chaos zoas! I’ll get a better picture of the zoas

9BDFF213-D314-43CD-A53A-61F5BB11B7A0.jpeg

9D16F952-0197-4654-85A1-D2017CF8899C.jpeg

D681D936-68B3-4152-BCC4-ECFB4228A045.jpeg

2D6F45A8-6D17-4837-B21E-607B0F9DEA48.jpeg

5103B6EB-90A3-46B9-B361-F38E715C597E.jpeg

OP
OP
StephenGlidden

StephenGlidden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I snagged a whole bunch of coral from Jason foxes live sale that will be here Tuesday! I’ll be posting a bunch of pictures from that

DRT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you are still building, I am starting a tank and sump build from scratch. I have the material and should start gluing the tank in march. You have some great idea and I like what I see. I am trying to figure out my returns and whether one return system would be sufficient or if I should run two. My tank deminision are 96" L 24" D 36" H.

OP
OP
StephenGlidden

StephenGlidden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you are still building, I am starting a tank and sump build from scratch. I have the material and should start gluing the tank in march. You have some great idea and I like what I see. I am trying to figure out my returns and whether one return system would be sufficient or if I should run two. My tank deminision are 96" L 24" D 36" H.
After work today I will post some big updates!

Errattiq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 96”Lx36”Dx24” high 350 gallon system with a singular, center mounted, synergy reef shadow overflow. The unit handles 2500gph and I’m not running close to that, maybe in the 1500-2000gph range at most. I’ve found over time the rate of flow through your sump should be just sufficient enough to maintain water temp in the main display and allow contact time with skimmers and other related filtration equipment. Use powerheads/wavemakers in the display for flow, I don’t even factor my returns for overall flow in the display anymore, I just point them toward the surface for additional surface agitation for gas exchange and that’s basically it.

OP
OP
StephenGlidden

StephenGlidden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank itself is all plumbed in and has been running for roughly 5 months I think. The two customaquariums.com features are the overflows and returns the h2overflows are awesome they take up no room, you can barely see them and the are so easy to clean as they are removable. The siphon stoppers I haven’t been as impressed with because I haven’t really figured out how to make them break a siphon immediately, not saying they won’t but am saying they bleed a good amount of water back. I would highly recommend a tank from then if you are looking to buy one.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the H2overflows out and being cleaned I do it every 4-5 water changes, very simple

72693B33-904B-4C90-AE6D-DC507611AD55.jpeg

Would you show how these look installed from the top? Do you just go straight to the sump or is there an overflow box on the back? Assuming the latter so you can do a Herbie or Beananimal to minimize noise. They seem like a good option, especially compared to traditional overflow towers.

DRT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 96”Lx36”Dx24” high 350 gallon system with a singular, center mounted, synergy reef shadow overflow. The unit handles 2500gph and I’m not running close to that, maybe in the 1500-2000gph range at most. I’ve found over time the rate of flow through your sump should be just sufficient enough to maintain water temp in the main display and allow contact time with skimmers and other related filtration equipment. Use powerheads/wavemakers in the display for flow, I don’t even factor my returns for overall flow in the display anymore, I just point them toward the surface for additional surface agitation for gas exchange and that’s basically it.
I looked at the external overflow but since I am building from the raw 3/4 sheet I was looking more of doing a internal overflow vice an external to reduce the tank to wall gap. If you have any pro's or cons pertaining to external or internals I would really like to hear them.

DRT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the external overflow but since I am building from the raw 3/4 sheet I was looking more of doing a internal overflow vice an external to reduce the tank to wall gap. If you have any pro's or cons pertaining to external or internals I would really like to hear them.

DRT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank itself is all plumbed in and has been running for roughly 5 months I think. The two customaquariums.com features are the overflows and returns the h2overflows are awesome they take up no room, you can barely see them and the are so easy to clean as they are removable. The siphon stoppers I haven’t been as impressed with because I haven’t really figured out how to make them break a siphon immediately, not saying they won’t but am saying they bleed a good amount of water back. I would highly recommend a tank from then if you are looking to buy one.
I like the way they look but I was considering going with an internal BEANAMINAL overflow. Do you have any pro's or con's regarding internal over external overflows?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back