425 gallon reef tank build

StephenGlidden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading from a 300 dd to a customaquariums.com 425 gallon tank measurements are 96”w x 36”d x 28”t
2400 gph stealthbox, 4 siphon stopper return lines.

Equipment will be:
Reef octopus regal 300 int
Reef octopus br-140 biopellet reactor
Reef octopus VarioS 8 pump
Smart Uv sterilizer
Neptune apex
Apex atk
Apex wav
3 kessil ap700s
Kessil a80 tuna flora
Tunzee 6050 pump
Maxspect gyre
Simplicity 2100 gph for water changes

*im still trying to find a sump

Plumbing will all be pvc hopefully to match the reef octopus theme.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so jealous. Unless I move, it will only be dream for me to have such a large tank. Good luck

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the upgrade. You’ll love the size. How much longer till the build is done?

OP
OP
StephenGlidden

StephenGlidden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are actually taking down a wall between my living room and den to combine them for the tank, also have to build a “closet” under where the tank is to support the weight of the tank.

OP
OP
StephenGlidden

StephenGlidden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking crystal reef aquatics for a sump, they build either a triton method or regular with socks at 60"x22"x16" both priced around the same thing. Also with that ill probably get the matching ATO chamber too.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking crystal reef aquatics for a sump, they build either a triton method or regular with socks at 60"x22"x16" both priced around the same thing. Also with that ill probably get the matching ATO chamber too.

You could always save the $ and build a sump yourself. Get a used tank or a Rubbermaid. Save the $ and put it towards coral.

That’s what I’ve always done anyways lol.

Heuey51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are awesome sumps, I have the 48 triton if you have any questions about quality or customer service let me know

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The customaquariums are just fantastic. I am setting up a 96”x30”x30”. I couldn’t fit anything large in my house.

At 700lbs it was ridiculously difficult to get in my house and down a flight of stairs.

But it was worth it!!

OP
OP
StephenGlidden

StephenGlidden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The customaquariums are just fantastic. I am setting up a 96”x30”x30”. I couldn’t fit anything large in my house.

At 700lbs it was ridiculously difficult to get in my house and down a flight of stairs.

But it was worth it!!
How did you get it in the house? I’m trying to figure out the best way to tackle mine when it gets here.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently installed a tank of similar dimensions (96x36x30) but I went acrylic due primarily to the empty weight. Is yours glass or acrylic (maybe you already said and I missed it)? My acrylic was 575 empty, but a glass tank would have been closer to 1,200 ..... ugh. I recruited 5 other chaps, and bought suctions cups and a pair of lift carts. Depends a bit on whether any stairs are involved.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get it in the house? I’m trying to figure out the best way to tackle mine when it gets here.

I hired a moving company that specializes in moving grand pianos

With the suction cups from custom aquariums four strong guys carried it in, it was pretty impressive, especially going down the stairs!

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any pics of a actual crystal reef sump in action? I'm interested in one for my new build as well.

OP
OP
StephenGlidden

StephenGlidden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted a moving company last night due to also having to move a safe down stairs and they had said they won’t due the tank. I just put emphasis in that it is glass and fragile they said that their insurance would cover it if broken.
The tank supposedly weight 750 pounds

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted a moving company last night due to also having to move a safe down stairs and they had said they won’t due the tank. I just put emphasis in that it is glass and fragile they said that their insurance would cover it if broken.
The tank supposedly weight 750 pounds

Yeah, I must have called 20 movers before I found one that would do it.

OP
OP
StephenGlidden

StephenGlidden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as part of this project we are taking a load bearing wall down to combine my living room and den (where the tank will go). Today is demo day! Bought 3 18’ LVL beams yesterday to go up instead of the wall.

Back