425 gallon reef tank build

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hahaha I didn’t mean it like that I’m just excited I gotta make sure that I got man powah! This is a big buddy lol.

Op feel free to toss my posts from your wonderful thread. This thread literally made me order that sump as I had never even heard of that company.

I can’t wait to get mine! Lmk how yours was I’ve been watching the thread hoping for some pictures lol.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha I didn’t mean it like that I’m just excited I gotta make sure that I got man powah! This is a big buddy lol.

Ha hahahhaha!! Someone’s up doing the same thing I am!

I was about to say, “not to sound like a d***, but dang boyo you sound like a impatient f*****!!” LOL

It’s acrylic, 2 people can move that ez pz

And not the OP. [emoji55]

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new build!

I set up a 450g last year with almost the same measurements and almost bought from CA.

Have you used biopellets before? Over the years I’ve used almost every method of nutrient control and biopellets was my least liked. I actually had the same reactor you bought on my previous 300g and it struggled to keep up when the corals grew out. I’m now using a sulfur denitrator and it’s the method that’s worked the best for me so far.

Look forward to seeing the build progress!

OP
OP
StephenGlidden

StephenGlidden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for not posting lately but here’s an update!
We got the wall down, beam up sheet rocked and painted, I have to trim a couple windows out and then I can start building the stand!
My new sump from crystal reef aquatics will be here Monday, I would highly recommend looking into the sumps they make if anyone is looking for a new one, the customer service from them has been amazing.
I’m going to try to start the stand this week so I should have some pictures.

OP
OP
StephenGlidden

StephenGlidden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s another update*
I have received my sump and ATO container from crystal reef, packaging was very good on both, both seem to be in perfect condition. I have got way to many house project going on right now but last night I officially started building the stand for the new tank! I will upload pictures as I go the stand is 2x6 supports, I will also use aluminum angle iron bracing where I feel needed, due to the size I’m having to build it in my living room. I apologize for the lighting in the pictures the blue is from the kessils.

7041CB9F-DEAA-4303-B7C3-F4C42293E9C0.jpeg

0718D839-3422-4669-8232-96B2C52C2F06.jpeg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this Tank of a tank
images

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking forward to the build!

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you gave yourself a lot of room to work on the sump.

Are you going to black out that window or what’s the plan?

Btw you’ll love that skimmer! Good pick! . It did wonders on my tank. I’ve got it’s bigger brother now.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Btw you’ll love that skimmer! Good pick! . It did wonders on my tank. I’ve got it’s bigger brother now.

Hello,

Been following this thread and it’s awesome, my parents gave me a 400 gallon for my medical dr graduation. So I have been planning one as well. I spoke to the company building mine and they are 12-14 weeks out. But, as others have mentioned that’s actually not that long to get things ready for something this size.

@lolgranny I figured out why the window is there and how he is going to get that huge tank in there. He is just going to cut the window completely out lol. After it falls on his grass outside they will drag it away. Then he can use a fork lift to slide the tank in long ways. With a team of gorillas on the other side, they will help hold he tank and move it into place. After the tank is in, he will just rebuild the wall section he cut out, of course minus the window. It’s killing two birds with one stone. :)

OP
OP
StephenGlidden

StephenGlidden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a shade to go on it that will always be down, my thought is should I ever have to have access to the back of the tank I can work through the window.

I can’t even imagine a bigger skimmer then that, before I got it everyone online said it’s way bigger then you think it is and of course when I opened it i couldn’t believe how big the thing is. I wanted to hook it up to my 300 now in the mean time but it wouldn’t fit in the trigger sump :(

OP
OP
StephenGlidden

StephenGlidden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Been following this thread and it’s awesome, my parents gave me a 400 gallon for my medical dr graduation. So I have been planning one as well. I spoke to the company building mine and they are 12-14 weeks out. But, as others have mentioned that’s actually not that long to get things ready for something this size.

@lolgranny I figured out why the window is there and how he is going to get that huge tank in there. He is just going to cut the window completely out lol. After it falls on his grass outside they will drag it away. Then he can use a fork lift to slide the tank in long ways. With a team of gorillas on the other side, they will help hold he tank and move it into place. After the tank is in, he will just rebuild the wall section he cut out, of course minus the window. It’s killing two birds with one stone. :)

I think that’s about what my tank was out, they say it will be shipped the second half of June. When I bought it I figure there would be plenty of time however with all my house projects going on I feel like I’m running out of time now :confused:

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol!! You definitely need a couple silverbacks to move the tank. It will be about 1000lbs or more depending on thickness. I carried mine in with a handful of them. It was quite a zoo.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shade to go on it that will always be down, my thought is should I ever have to have access to the back of the tank I can work through the window.

I can’t even imagine a bigger skimmer then that, before I got it everyone online said it’s way bigger then you think it is and of course when I opened it i couldn’t believe how big the thing is. I wanted to hook it up to my 300 now in the mean time but it wouldn’t fit in the trigger sump :(

Haha I can see it now, your neighbors are going to be wondering why a man is sticking half way out his window as a glowing light is coming from it.

When I got the box for the skimmer I was confused at what this package was because it was so big lol.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back