450+ gal outdoor marine pond/lagoon

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea as mentioned the Queen, if not the culprit, will likely give the liner a run for it's money at some point. Can you use some sort of pond sealer?

OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing queen triggers is say it was more like the trigger that bit holes in the liner. Triggers will bite anything and everything in the tank. Unless you actually saw the wrasse doing it, both are sus.
Well based on the puncture marks, 2-4 holes, I was leaning towards the wrasse. The trigger doesn't really have fangs per se.

OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210721_185746.jpg

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well based on the puncture marks, 2-4 holes, I was leaning towards the wrasse. The trigger doesn't really have fangs per se.
I just wouldn’t put any triggers or larger fanged wrasses in there. Don’t risk all the hard work you put in, just put a lot of angels haha, my favorite fishes!

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Just read through your thread and I love it! It's stuff like this, the various plywood builds, and the guy with the 5k gallon tank in his basement that make r2r awesome. As my name obviously implies, I really enjoy checking out what people build on their own. Cool stuff man, keep it up!

OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Do you have anymore updates? I would love to see what more you have done. It’s absolutely beautiful btw amazing job.
Some updates here and there. Pretty much on auto pilot right now. Added a couple fish from the LFS (emperor snapper, humu humu, and undulated.
20221203_150558.jpg

Driftdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how your setup handled our lovely temperatures over Christmas?

I was able to maintain temp in my 40b I have on my back porch despite the upper 30’s/low 40’s temp (freezing for South Florida) and no additional insulation.

On a completely separate matter, I have been debating about building a SW pond but I want to use it as a grow out for coral in my actual backyard rather than on my porch. Due to this, I am concerned about the impact the rain would have on the salinity and other parameters. Other than enclosing pond in greenhouse (which is not what I wanted to do) I have been unable to come up with a reasonable solution to address my concern. All of the truly outdoor mariculture I have seen depends on natural saltwater being continuously pumped into the coral grow outs thereby removing the problem. Any ideas on how to address this? I assume this is why you it yours on the porch.
Thanks.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 9.1%

Back