450 gallon tank build advice

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently in the planning phases of a 450g acrylic tank (96x36x30).
After scouring a number of smaller and larger builds, 1" seems more ideal than using 3/4".
One issue with the 1" build is that mp40s have a max thickness of 3/4" but arent guaranteed to hold well on that thickness based on research.
Would it be worth it to forgo the 1" sides at least to possibly continue using mp40s or stick with the 1" uniform build?

Second part I need some advice on is the external overflow which I had planned to be 36" long cut down for a 1" toothless weir (assuming thats more than large enough to handle 2500~3000gph after headloss). The main builder I had in mind suggested 20" would be more than adequate for my goal gph but based on referencing overflow boxes like modular marine, it falls short of the level I would like. Should I stick with my original length or have a smaller cut out and is 1" low enough or would 1.5-2" more ideal

(Pardon all the edits and updates, fat fingers on mobile hit post pre-emptively!)

Last edited:

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of advice are you looking for? Will this be your first reef tank? Love the dimensions. My 300 is 96x24x30”. Will it be accessible from both sides? If your using dry rock I would start cycling it asap. I would keep my eyes open for clean established live rock for someone getting out of the hobby if possible.

Enjoy your build and good luck!

OP
OP
C_AWOL

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of advice are you looking for? Will this be your first reef tank? Love the dimensions. My 300 is 96x24x30”. Will it be accessible from both sides? If your using dry rock I would start cycling it asap. I would keep my eyes open for clean established live rock for someone getting out of the hobby if possible.

Enjoy your build and good luck!
Sorry, fat fingered the post button by accident lol.
Mostly design aspects prior to putting a deposit on said tank which I added to the original post after.

OP
OP
C_AWOL

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres the current mock up that I sent to a few builders (haven't decided on return hole numbers and placement yet)

20201117_124822.jpg

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your weir is tooth less it could be shorter but I would stick with 36" myself for more of a sheet of water over the weir. Then it can also be closer to the top.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 3000 gph you will have about a 0.6 in deep sheet of water flowing over a 36" tooth less weir. At 48" long the sheet would be about 1/2" deep. I would go for 48" myself.

OP
OP
C_AWOL

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense + a thinner sheet of water should result in less noise than the cascading water from a 20" as well

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not design a tank around powerheads. As suggested, MP60s would work. There are others too.

OP
OP
C_AWOL

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that I was intentionally designing it around some powerheads but when you put it that way, the choice becomes very clear!

OP
OP
C_AWOL

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might as well continue using this thread instead of making another one incase there are additional inputs on the older parts, but what is everyones thoughts on using a pair of maxspect gyre XF280 vs a pair of mp60 as far as pumps that work on 1" acrylic are concerned? Brs currently has a sale on the maxspect gyres which made me consider them.

A few details I've summed up if they help:
Mp60 pros:
-Considered a tried and true product for me and many others (previously used the older non qd 60s)
-Battery Back up compatible (ecotech/coralbox?/diy)*
-Easy cleaning
-No cables in the tank
-Great customer service (when I've needed them in my history of owning ecotech gear)
*Already have newer ecotech back up batteries I can re-allocate which may offset some overall cost
-Mobius might be good someday

Cons:
-Price for 2 is 1400 (792 dollar difference for 2 which could upgrade a rd3 to an abyzz or buy other gear)
-Likely noisier than the gyre (even the mp40qds have some noise so the qd60s will too since my older mp60s had noise)
-In comparison to the gyre it will be much more narrow and limited range of flow without additional supplementation
-Cannot mount very high (based on older mp60s and current mp40s) without sucking in a ton of air

Maxpect Gyre XF280 pros:
-Widest flow out of all pumps and powerheads (that I know of) and may not require additional supplementation
-Can be mounted vertical or horizontal and apparently very high up towards the surface of the water making it a bit less obtrusive than other powerheads (bar the cableless vortechs)
-Price for 2 (only 1 controller needed) 608 which is significantly less expensive than 2 qd60 ($792 is not insignificant!)
-Battery back up compatible (Icecap v2?*, Coralbox v2, DIY?)
-Exceeds the thickness maximum of 1" (1.25" max for mounting)

Cons:
-Not snail/random critter proof based on research (seems easily broken by snails and what not which hasn't been an issue with any vortech pump in my experience)
-Doesn't look anywhere near as easy to clean and seems like it will fail easier if neglected (I've gone extended periods without cleaning some of my older vortechs)
-No personal experience with their customer service/longevity (my oldest vortech is an 8 year old mp60 thats still in service)
-*Ice cap battery seems discontinued? leaving only DIY or Coralbox/DIY options available for battery back up since I don't know if the ecotech battery is compatible
-Cables in the tank + needing to make additional cutouts in the top bracing for the cables to go through the top of the acrylic (Tank will not/cannot be rimless)

TLDR ver: hobby is expensive, save 792 dollars and try something im not familiar with (thats on sale) or shell out the extra and not worry about it unless I end up needing more.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back